Jazz slang: "ham and eggs"?

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 05:24 am
I recently watched Anchor Man. There is a scene in which Will Ferrell plays a jazz flute; in the middle of his performance he says something about "ham and eggs." When I asked my friend what it means, he responded, "I think it's when they [jazz musicians] just start going off." Makes sense, but I'm not sure if he's right.

When I searched the internet I found nothing but cockney rhyming slang sites ("ham and eggs" = "legs).

Anybody know?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 12,858 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 05:38 am
Re: Jazz slang: "ham and eggs"?
Immanuel wrote:
I recently watched Anchor Man. There is a scene in which Will Ferrell plays a jazz flute; in the middle of his performance he says something about "ham and eggs." When I asked my friend what it means, he responded, "I think it's when they [jazz musicians] just start going off." Makes sense, but I'm not sure if he's right.

When I searched the internet I found nothing but cockney rhyming slang sites ("ham and eggs" = "legs).

Anybody know?

Might be, his referring to the Denny Barker song:
Quote:
Danny wrote innumerable songs many of which were recorded by the biggest and best-known artists of the day. Many are still being recorded. The lyrics of these songs reflect a sense irony (that I imagine came as a result of growing up in that quaintly named red light district, Storyville) and the storytelling that were Danny Barker's trademark. Even the titles make you chuckle "Save the Bones for Henry Jones" or "You Got to Get Yourself a Job, Girl" or that reflection of the Great Depression "Ham and Eggs".
Source
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 08:23 am
I know that "butter and eggs" is a reference to sexual intercourse and I suspect "ham and eggs" may also be a way of being decorously wicked in public.
0 Replies

Nitro

Reply Sun 4 Jan, 2015 09:36 pm
My uncle reported that his father called his cousin in Chicago "a ham & eggs musician." Tone of voice suggested disrespect, but my uncle liked the musician.
0 Replies