clones, whats the legal issue?

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2003 02:29 pm
FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla. - An executive with the company that claims to have produced a human clone was subpoenaed Saturday to appear in court, and the company was ordered to disclose the whereabouts of the baby girl and her mother

regardless of the validity of the "clone" baby, what legal jurisdiction would any court have over the child?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,599 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Anonymous

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2003 02:32 pm
Hey Dys!

I can't see how they would have any!

Anon
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2003 05:18 pm
Well, for starters every state in the US has laws requiring the registration of the birth (or stillbirth) of any child. They could be on a witch hunt looking for the kid or to see what this "Raelian" group listed on the birth certificate...

What does the doctor put in the "Mother" and/or "Father" blocks in this case? "N/A" ?????????

Now, where this kid actually is and whether or not FL law has any jurisdiction over her is up in the air at this point...
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2003 05:26 pm
I wonder if someday, the creator of a clone might not present himself as the owner of the clone.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2003 06:11 pm
the said child is not believed to be in Florida where the issue of guardianship is being pursued by an attorney. one would have to question the motivation of the attorney i would think.
0 Replies

Mapleleaf

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2003 08:08 pm
Reading with interest.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 12 Jan, 2003 08:39 pm
A link that mentions the suit can be found here:
http://www.cnn.com/2003/HEALTH/01/03/clone.claims/

It appears the intent is to more along the lines of "child welfare" than anything else (and this one was supposedly born in FL..). It reads like the idea is that Seigel (whomever he is..) wants the child represented in a court and there may be attemts to remove the child from it's "parents".

All in all it sounds VERY similar to a case that was on-going here in MA over the last 2 years or so.. Only that child wasn't purported to be a clone..
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 16 Jan, 2003 11:08 am
I think the critical legal issue concerns the welfare and safety of the cloned baby. It's been speculated that the clone could be suffering from numerous birth defects and as a result may need specialized social and medical care.
0 Replies