Maria Full of Grace

Pitter

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 08:13 pm
Have you seen this in the states yet? We saw it here in Cali a couple of months ago. Very compelling account of the drug trafficing phenomena. Interesting to see it in a theater where probobly sixty or more percent of the viewers have some connection including my own seat mate.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,328 • Replies: 8
No top replies

ehBeth

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 08:39 pm
I saw this tonight at an advance screening.

An amazing film - in terms of being a film - and also in terms of what it shows.

Definitely not a feel good movie, but I really can't recommend it enough. I'm going to be encouraging people to see it if they can. A bit strong for some people. The older couple to my left stood up to leave a couple of times, but then the husband convinced the wife to stay, again. The woman I came with almost threw up - she cried a couple of times.

A really great accomplishment in film-making to my particularly fussy eye and ear. I can see why it's been winning awards.
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 02:18 pm
From what I've learned here the film is dead on accurate. Glad you were able to see it and enjoyed it.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 02:27 pm
A lot of buzz here. Can't wait to see it. Can't wait to see if she'll be Americanated and buy a house in the Hollywood Hills. Sure hope not. She's getting rave reviews; for an acting neophyte.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 04:47 pm
pitter - 24 hours later and i'm still vibrating inside from what i experienced last night watching Maria, Full of Grace.

more of what was accomplished in terms of film-making hit me through the day. i read today that the man who played the 'fixer' in Queens is the real 'mayor of Little Colombia' in New York. There were some stats on the number of bodies he's arranged to send back to Colombia - really sobering to reflect on.

I know I'll never feel the same way in an airplane.
0 Replies

Pitter

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 06:07 pm
Interestingly the principal actress was snubbed by local Colombian telenovelas (soap operas) and other acting opportunities before she made "Maria Llena De Gracia." Boy are they sorry now since she's won all sorts of foreign best acting awards.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 07:37 pm
I read that she just did some off-off-Broadway work. I think she's someone to try to see on stage. An extremely BIG presence.
0 Replies

flyboy804

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 06:52 pm
A terrific film!! One of my favorites of the year to date. Aside from the fact, that it is said to be very honest, the performances are almost universally excellent (in spite of the fact that many of the actors are not professionals). The star, Catalina Sandino Moreno, was especially good, not to mention being a delight to look at. I particularly liked the fact that the film was non judgemental.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Tue 3 Aug, 2004 10:46 am
I think you're right, Flyboy. There's just something so straight-forward about the film that kept me nodding my nod. Not so much in agreement, but in acknowledgement.
0 Replies