Nato Fleet to Protect Olympics

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 03:34 pm
Quote:
Nato's entire Mediterranean naval fleet will be assigned to protect the Olympics as part of the alliance's unprecedented role in bolstering security for the games, the commander said today.

German Rear Admiral Hans Jochen Witthauer said all vessels under his command will work alongside Greek maritime forces to monitor the seas during the August Games.

"The entire force is ready and will participate during the Olympic Games," Witthauer said following meetings with Greek naval officers in Piraeus.

The Standing Naval Force Mediterranean, based in Naples, Italy, includes more than a dozen frigates, destroyers and other vessels.

Witthauer refused to give details of Nato's naval duties during the Olympics, but the force has been involved in anti-terrorism patrols throughout the eastern Mediterranean since shortly after the September 11, 2001, attacks in New York and Washington.

Nato plans to conduct surveillance flights over Greece, which asked for help from its allies to expand Olympic security.
source: New Scotsman
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 537 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 03:36 pm
Yeah, you know, i heard that there Terrorist Navy was a pretty tough bunch . . .
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 03:40 pm
Hmmm.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 03:45 pm
What do you think about it, Walter? I find it a decent, and, unfortunately, necessary precaution. Terrorists could use boats in the future; we never know. We don't want a nautical version of Georgia, that's for sure.

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 04:01 pm
I once was sailing the Kiel Week, in a military (navy) crew, and thus had to saty in baracks.
It was the time of the anti-American demonstrations, and our "greens in blue" (kind of Marines - Navy toops, in green army uniforms) nearly were crazy: running around with real ammunition in real weapons etc..

Well, might be that it is necessary.

But I doubt that.

I doubt especially that you can prevend terroristic attacks with a fleet: one experienced frogman ...
(I know, what I'm talking about!)
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 17 Jul, 2004 12:24 am
I believe you do, Walter.

I can think of all kinds of precautions that would be in order. Somehow, I never consider a naval fleet to be one of them. Still don't, as a matter of fact.
0 Replies