Image resolution question for PRINT

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 09:27 am
I couldn't find a forum that this fits in, but I figure this is the closest.

Here's the question. Is it possible to increase the resolution of an image without losing any quality when that image is printed?

I have been in graphics for a while now, and I always KNEW that you could not do this. You can open it up in photoshop or image ready and change an image's resolution from 300 ppi to 600 ppi, but the image will not be of the same quality.

But recently I had an argument with someone about this, and they were telling me that there are new programs being created that will actually interpolate the data and effectively improve the resolution without losing quality. Although not a true resolution enhancement, these programs (whatever they may be) will give the illusion of enhanced resolution.

But when you print it, will it still look as clear? And does anyone know of any programs like this? I'd like to check out their websites and info to see for myself.

Thanks
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 933 • Replies: 6
No top replies

Monger

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 09:55 am
There has always been software specifically designed to increase image size/resolution with minimal quality loss. Today we just have more (and perhaps better) options than ever. It isn't really really the real deal in reality though, as you seem to have already gathered. Nevertheless, yes algorithms can be used to keep sharp areas of images sharp, & retain texture & feel of more subtle areas without excessive blurring.

Of course, it's always best to capture the resolution you need from the beginning, before resorting to software solutions. But since you're interested, here be some options for ya:

- Extensis pxl SmartScale (lots of hype, high price)
- LizardTech's Genuine Fractals
- HumanSoft XFile
- Bearded Frog Enlarger PRO

...and more like them. There's a number of screenshots on those pages for you to gander at, as well.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 11:16 am
Cool. Thanks. I will check those out when I get a chance.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 11:43 am
Re: Image resolution question for PRINT
kickycan wrote:

Here's the question. Is it possible to increase the resolution of an image without losing any quality when that image is printed?

Yes, print it at a smaller scale. Mr. Green

Quote:
But recently I had an argument with someone about this, and they were telling me that there are new programs being created that will actually interpolate the data and effectively improve the resolution without losing quality.

Mitigate against quality loss, not eliminate, as monger said.

BTW, print graphics?
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 11:51 am
Re: Image resolution question for PRINT
Craven de Kere wrote:
kickycan wrote:

Yes, print it at a smaller scale. Mr. Green

Funny! I guess I have to be more careful how I word questions like that.

Craven de Kere wrote:
Mitigate against quality loss, not eliminate, as monger said.

BTW, print graphics?

Yep. I'm talking printing presses.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 11:51 am
Kicky, I'ma go move this to the Computers forum, since you've been making it clear from the beginning you're talking about print graphics rather than Web.

Web graphics usually requires entirely different methods, since with Web images (not layout) resolution is for the most part irrelevant to the quality (since 1 image pixel==1 screen pixel), images are usually smaller (& therefore have less detail), and the name of the game is very often about getting the filesize as small as possible while maintaining reasonable quality, rather than preserving & interpolating as much quality as possible.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 12:08 pm
Okay, thanks for the head's up.
0 Replies