Safe at last! We finally got that monster. Phew!

Craven de Kere

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 01:45 pm
Phoenix32890 wrote:
Quote:
But Phoenix is saying she should be given special legal treatment that is, quite simply illegal.

Never said that.

Oh but you did:

Phoenix32890 wrote:
For the record, I think that she needed to be punished for what she did, but not with jail time. A hefty fine and probation would have proven the point nicely.

The legal treatment you advocate is simply not legal. And would constitute special treatment when she is already getting the most lenient treatment possible under law.

Now I can definitely agree that my statement can sound like two different things. On one hand it can look like you want her to get special treatment knowingly and on the other what I think did happen was that you recommended punishment that would consitute a complete disregard for the law unknowingly.

Quote:
If she got the minimum sentence for the crime that she was charged, of course the judge had to abide by the sentencing guidelines. But there IS such a thing as plea bargaining!

What are you talking about? I am seriously interested, this makes no sense to me, but not being a lawyer I might not be aware of something. "Plea bargaining" as I know it, would not make any difference to her sentence, which is already the most lenient possible under law.

Quote:

Over time, I have noticed something VERY curious. I have seen this scenario over and over again. Let's say, that
there will be a stock, which has a certain daily average trading volume. All of a sudden, the volume spikes dramatically, and then the stock price drops like a rock. In many instances, I have looked around for news that would account for this, and find none. A day or two later, some bad news about the company will be published. Coincidence?????

I can't speak for the cases you have in mind but if what you are trying to say is that others do insider trading as well you are probably right.

And if the implied argument is that they get away with it I am sure that some do.

Martha did, for example.

Now if you are saying that people who get away with crimes have any bearing on the fairness of Martha's sentence I'll have to disagree as a matter of principle. Law makes no allowance for the grubby cookie smeared finger to point to the other kids and say "but they did it too!"
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 10:46 am
I also seem to remember Martha getting a bloody nose before in this same area - wasn't she a stockbroker many moons ago and did something a bit dishonest back then? That was something that stayed with me, from the movie about her life that was out a while back, and I remember thinking that even if the historical item was not provable then the fact that she had been a stockbroker meant that she KNEW (better than a lot of people) that what she was doing was completely wrong but did it anyway because she thought she could get away with it.

I'm not interested in bashing Martha. She is good at her job, people like her, and I think she will bounce back. Five months is nothing. She wasn't convicted of the insider trading per se and 5 months may seem a long time for "lying", but perhaps this jail time will discourage her (and maybe others) from thinking they can continue to try to cheat the system and get away with it.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 19 Jul, 2004 10:50 am
Heeven
Heeven, APPLAUSE!

BBB
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 02:08 am
Now there is on CNN International at Larry King Live the first interview with Martha Stewart , since her sentenced.
Interesting...
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Tue 20 Jul, 2004 09:36 am
BBB
I watched a couple of Martha Stewart's interviews and my reaction was YUK! and holding my nose.

Such self-serving drivel encouraged by the suck-up interviewers Barbara Walters and Larry King.

Stewart would make a good political campaign manager based on her trying to spin away her crime, the lesser of the more serious one for which she escaped prosecution.

I have some advice for Stewart: Shut your smirky mouth; you got off lucky on the serious crime and got a break for your lesser crime sentence.

BBB
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 12:17 pm
*bump*

just for information:

Martha ready to do time

Quote:
Martha Stewart said Wednesday she'll start serving her five-month prison sentence as soon as possible in order to put her "nightmare" behind her.

The homemaking expert and entrepreneur said the decision was a hard but necessary one for her to get on with her life and her business, and that she was anxious to get back to work as soon as she could.

"The best word to use for this very hard and difficult decision is 'finality,' and my intense desire to put this nightmare behind me, both personally and professionally," Stewart, 63, said at a news conference Wednesday morning at Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia's headquarters in Manhattan.

"I must reclaim my good life and I must return to my good works."

Dressed in khaki garb and at times emotional, Stewart called the prospect of going to prison and giving up her freedom "frightening and difficult."

Stewart was sentenced in July to five months in prison and five months of house arrest after being convicted of obstructing justice and lying to investigators during an insider trading probe into why she sold ImClone Systems Inc. (IMCL: Research, Estimates) stock in late 2001.

The federal judge who oversaw her trial, Miriam Goldman Cedarbaum, ruled when Stewart was sentenced that the home decorating maven could stay out of prison pending her appeal.

But Stewart had said she might serve her time early, before her appeal was heard.

complete report
0 Replies