Casting Racism

Jb0505

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2015 06:22 am
I have a question regarding casting for a film or television show.

This is a completely hypothetical question:

If I have written a Caucasian character with Irish and English descent, I have spent months fleshing out the ins and outs of this character, what they look like, how they talk etc. For authenticity I may rule out an auditioning actor purely based on factors involving their race as this is not how I "picture" the character in my mind, regardless of how good they might be. Can this be deemed racist? And if so is it wrong for the director/casting director to make this decision?

Please keep in mind that this is a completely hypothetical question and does not reflect my personal beleifs in any manner.

Thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 847 • Replies: 2
No top replies

willo

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2015 12:18 pm
@Jb0505,
No not racist an authentic character is needed and your description is just that
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Mon 17 Aug, 2015 12:59 pm
@Jb0505,
Jb0505 wrote:

Can this be deemed racist?

By whom? Society at large? Sure, I suppose so. Everyone's entitled to their opinions. On the other hand, if you're worried about the legal implications, your decision to cast a white actor to play the part of a white person is usually acceptable under civil rights statutes. It's called a "BFOQ" (bona fide occupational qualification).
0 Replies