Non-residential parent attempting to enroll child in different school district

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 04:20 pm
I am the residential parent of my children, according to the court memorandum until our trial and final divorce. The mother has the children 2 days a week, and her parents watch the kids (day care) during the week (at the same place the mother lives). With kindergarten approaching I've just found out she signed our son up to go to a different elementary school (district) from where I live. I've signed him up for the correct school district, however she has the kids over night on the night before school and will likely try and take him to the school she wants him to go to. What can I do?

Additional info: The mother lives in a "gray area" where one of several districts can be chosen. One of the options is the district that I live in. In other words, if our son goes to the school the mother chose, only she is in the school district. If our son goes to the school in my district then we both are in the school district. There has been no final parenting plan established, and no one is listed as "custodial" parent, however I am listed as "residential parent" and the mother is listed as having "visitation."
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 1,779 • Replies: 2

Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 04:23 pm
Have you asked your divorce attorney?
0 Replies
Reply Tue 11 Aug, 2015 04:46 pm
You have two options.

1) You talk to the mother of your children to reach an agreement.

2) You get a judge's order.

Obviously the first option has big advantages. First of all it avoids you and her each giving money to lawyers. Second, it is nicer for you to not have to fight all of the time. And third it is better for the children.

How important is this to you? Have you listened to her reasons for choosing this school? Is there something that she could give in on to make you be able to accept this decision (or vice versa).

If this were important to me, and I felt I tried my hardest to work this out with my ex-wife, I would pay to see a lawyer (generally the free consultations are worthless sales pitches). Once I got a lawyer's opinion, I would relay it to my ex-wife and then hope that I wouldn't get into the ugly mess of a legal fight.

Better to try to reasonable.

0 Replies

Related Topics

How should we improve the school system? - Discussion by alexpari1
Teachers in School - Discussion by RyanO45
School Incident - What can I do? - Question by Kyle-M
School Uniforms Get Shorter - Question by harpazo
Kid wouldn't fight, died of injuries - Discussion by gungasnake
Police questioning students at school. - Question by boomerang
Is this weird, or normal? - Question by boomerang
Public school zero tolerance policies. - Question by boomerang
10yr Old Refuses to Recite Pledge - Discussion by Diest TKO
You learned that in school!? - Question by boomerang
  1. Forums
  2. » Non-residential parent attempting to enroll child in different school district
Copyright © 2023 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/24/2023 at 11:04:48