hey i completely agree with do you??

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 09:22 am
internet manners hey should have known, caps is considered shouting what rules you computer geeks come up with to try and feel special, how can i shout i'm sitting typing at my keyboard trying to get some help.
craven and cyanure you need to lighten up let people express them selves in upper or lower case hey or whatever color they want.......don't be petty get on with helping people thats what this forum is for and i thinkyou two are forgetting that.

good day

from yohan
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,788 • Replies: 25
No top replies

MurrayS

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 09:46 am
Howdy:

You are right.. the main reason for this forum is to help other people however as Craven well knows as he is the owner of the site (bet you never knew that now did you !!!).. that also means the people needing help should not "demand" help which is what a full cap post could mean..

Netiquette states that typing in full caps means one is angry, yelling or demanding and I don't think anyone cares to help anyone else that is coming across like that..

Not sure where you have been but some sites won't even bother giving any sort of help if a question is typed totally in caps.. They will simply be told to repost the question properly !!!

As for them "making the rules to feel important" the following is from "online netiquette dot com"

"To minimize the importance of established Netiquette Guidelines is to make a conscious decision to be thought of as rude, lazy, arrogant or uneducated. If you are online for commercial gain, lack of proper Netiquette may very well deter those who otherwise may have considered doing business with you.

Now, stop and read the above paragraph again. This is not a joke, this is not one person's opinion. This site is not in existence to call you names or make you feel bad. Quite the contrary. These are the issues you need to know about and skills you need to hone to be considered someone people want to communicate with.

Below are the online basics you need to minimally become familiar with in order to be taken seriously in your online communications.

1: Do not type in all caps. Typing in all caps is considered yelling or screaming online. Those who type in all caps are perceived as lazy and not being considerate of those who will have to read their e-mail. Various studies on the topic reflect that it is more difficult and takes longer to read text that is typed in all caps."

If that is how you want to be perceived, so be it !!!

Murray
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 10:00 am
Quote:
get on with helping people thats what this forum is for and i thinkyou two are forgetting that.

A2K is a FREE service manned by VOLUNTARY members. Your entire tone is arrogant and demanding. I love to help people where I can...........but not when people behave as if the help is owed to them!
0 Replies

JIMFLOYD

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 10:01 am
don't you agree that craven and co could bea little more polite to people who have no idea about these silly rules
0 Replies

JIMFLOYD

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 10:05 am
if someone new to site wrote in caps they should be politely told not in a nice mannor
0 Replies

JIMFLOYD

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 10:05 am
i mean in a nice manor
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 10:06 am
Quote:
don't you agree that craven and co could bea little more polite to people who have no idea about these silly rules

There are many different people on this forum. Some are very empathic, others less so. That is the nature of all kinds of populations.

I am thinking of the old phrase, "You catch more flies with honey, than with vinegar". If you feel that you are being slighted, IMO, it would be reasonable to confront the person in a non-threatening way, and explain that you did not understand the netiquette. Becoming overly aggressive and demanding never solved anything!
0 Replies

JIMFLOYD

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 10:08 am
i completely agree, people should not be told in any sort of aggressive way how to behave when they have no idea of these rules
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 10:12 am
Do not try to misrepresent what was said, the only agressive and rude behavior was yours.

Here is the exchange:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27679

YOHAN wrote:
THEM FILE ARE NOT IN THE PROCESSES AND THAT LINK IS DEAD THERE IS NO SOFTWARE THERE ANYMORE.

Craven de Kere wrote:
The link merely had a period at the end of it that was breaking it. I have fixed it.

Please do not write in all caps.

YOHAN wrote:
thanks but too late found another site, whats wrong with caps???? deal with it

Craven de Kere wrote:
Caps are considered shouting. If you are asking people to help you for free, you might consider some courtesy to them.

YOHAN wrote:
I CERTAINLY WON'T BE WANTING YOUR HELP AGAIN IF WRITING IN CAPS MAKES YOU SO ANGRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Craven de Kere wrote:
YOHAN,

You writing in caps does not make me angry at all, I was simply informing you of well known internet manners. If you show a disregard for manners, few people will want to help you. This is less about upper and lower case than it is about having a wee bit of maturity and manners.

That is all, do as you will.

YOHAN wrote:
internet manners hey should have known, caps is considered shouting what rules you computer geeks come up with to try and feel special, how can i shout i'm sitting typing at my keyboard trying to get some help.
craven and cyanure you need to lighten up let people express them selves in upper or lower case hey or whatever color they want.......don't be petty get on with helping people thats what this forum is for and i thinkyou two are forgetting that.

good day
0 Replies

JIMFLOYD

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 10:13 am
see i changed the title to lower case and i didn't even mean to write it in upper case it was a genuine mistake, it is that easy.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 10:16 am
Yes, it was in fact, that easy. And it could have been done when you were politely asked to but you chose instead to insult people who were trying to help you.

You told people to "deal with it", started calling them names and denigrating the people who had spent time helping you for free.

You continue to do so here.

Again, asking for free help and insulting the people who volunteer to help you is not the wisest way to go about things.
0 Replies

JIMFLOYD

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 10:18 am
i do not know of any exchange i read yohans message and agree that people should act in the right way and people who run the site should inform people of rules politely
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 10:21 am
JIMFLOYD wrote:
i do not know of any exchange

See here: http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27679

That was the exchange from your 3rd username here.

Quote:
i read yohans message and agree that people should act in the right way and people who run the site should inform people of rules politely

You are Yohan, of course you agree with yourself.

Secondly this is not a site rule, it's just basic manners.

Lastly you were informed politely and you responded rudely.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 10:56 am
JIMFLOYD - Reading the original interaction, I have to agree with Craven. IMO, he was genuinely attempting to assist, and I don't think that a nasty response to the help was in order.

Let's start all over again. Welcome to A2K!
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 11:29 am
I don't think Craven was rude at all.
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 12:23 pm
I totally agree with
Yohan/Jim Floyd - I can't believe that you are so new to the Internet as to be ignorant of a few basic rules of the road, and yet could find your way to A2K. Perhaps you have a chip on each shoulder, or, one must hope, just got up on the wrong side of the bed today.

In any case, Craven is requesting no more courtesy than any other site would ask for. I totally agree with him. He runs this site fairly and firmly - you couldn't ask for a better assessment than that.

"The subject should be relevant to the topic or question. Ideally the subject line should be able to summarize the question. Using a relevant title will greatly increase the chances of an answer. An example of a bad title is: "HELP ME!" An example of a good title is: "How do I reinstall Windows XP?" Using all caps and screaming for help will usually mean most people ignore you. If you use a relevant title with relevant keywords more people will find your topic." (Quoted from the instructions below the Reply subject line)
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 12:30 pm
TYPING LIKE THIS IS NOT RUDE. IT IS JUST VERY F*CKING ANNOYING...
0 Replies

Tomkitten

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 01:02 pm
I totally agree with
It's rude and it's f*cking annoying and it's asking for an unfriendly response.

Conventions are there to level the playing field. among other things. Flaming may be fun for the sender, but it's not sending a good signal to the recipient.
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 04:45 pm
I kinda have feeling that this thread gave idea to Kickycan and that soon we will have thread "NEVERENDING THREAD WITH CAPS-LOCK ON!!!!" Very Happy Wink
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 04:57 pm
I certainly do like anything that can be used to annoy others... Idea
0 Replies