work frequently in groups benefit academically to students?

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 04:34 am
Because learning is not a solitary activity but one that requires collaboration among people, students of all ages will benefit academically if they work frequently in groups
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,020 • Replies: 3
No top replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 06:29 am
I agree, partially. There are some subjects where one's learning may be enriched through interaction with outher students. But I don't agree that group learning is for everybody, and every subjects.

Each person has a different learning "style". There are some who find it beneficial to toss around ideas with other students. But there are others who need quiet, and intense personal concentration, before fruitful learning may occur!
0 Replies

Jer

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 12:19 pm
I find that too much group work can lead to regular "workers" and regular "slackers". This occurs particularly when the group is being graded on the work, because the workers won't let the slackers participate when it's important...and the slackers are all too happy to let the workers do the work!
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 02:52 pm
Learning isn't a solitary activity?

Can't one human observe and learn on their own? (Ex: the experiments of Gregory Mendel, Darwin's observations.)

Do you have books read to you or do you read them yourself?

I think groups are valuable to learn social skills and workplace dynamics.

However, as Jer said, this kind of group "learning" almost always leads to smart/hardworking people doing all the work for the dumb/lazy. The smart people get overworked and the dumb/lazy aren't properly challenged and don't learn. They all recieve the same (good) marks even though the work wasn't distributed. And if the work is forcefully distributed and the dumb/lazy kids don't do their part, the smart/hardworking kids get bad marks.
0 Replies