You're older than you look

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2015 10:35 am
Because time slows down for an object in motion, since everything's in motion (the Earth, the solar system, the galaxy, etc.) we're basicly whizzing through time-space even when idling on planet Earth.

Neat article here about all these velocities including the speed we're all moving all the time as the galaxy rotates. (483,000 MPH by the by.)

http://astrosociety.org/edu/publications/tnl/71/howfast.html

"And how fast is the Milky Way Galaxy moving? The speed turns out to be an astounding 1.3 million miles per hour (2.1 million km/hr)!"

Consequently, there is no rest state where you're never moving. As a result, we're all a bit older than we think due to relativistic time dilation. Difference is perhaps just a second or so, but it's not nothing. Smile

If any math nerds wanna do the math it's beyond me but I'd love to see the numbers. Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 2,642 • Replies: 4

jcboy

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2015 10:40 am
@HesDeltanCaptain,
I’m older than I look but that’s because I moisturize every night Cool
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2015 05:27 pm
I'm also smarter than I look.
0 Replies

Foofie

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2015 07:33 pm
@HesDeltanCaptain,
My own theory is that time is not the same for everyone, discounting the physics you mention. Meaning, some people mentally and physically (biologically) pass through time slower, or faster, thus resulting in looking younger, or older than one's chronological age. I suspect it starts in the brain. I expect to see a science article one day claiming that "rushing" is as bad for aging as smoking, poor eating habits, etc.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Sun 9 Aug, 2015 07:44 pm
@HesDeltanCaptain,
There is a basic misunderstanding of relativity in this question. Relativity is named "relativity" because it is based on the fact that speed and time are relative... that is that they can only be measured by comparing it to something else.

If you have spent your time on Earth, then you have aged based on the amount of time that has passed as experienced by the Earth. If have lived 30 years on Earth, then compared to Earth time you are 30 years old.

It is only when you compare your age from some other frame of reference that relativity is different.
0 Replies