Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 02:16 pm
cavfancier

Quote:
No idea, I work for Calvin Klein, not Guess. Laughing

Well what does Calvin Klein smell like?…Very Happy
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 02:28 pm
Laughing Good thing you asked. He smells a little like a closet...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 02:29 pm
limbodog wrote:
Yes, I can prove it. It will, however, take me as much as 100 years to do it.

In the meantime, enjoy some EVPs:

http://www.mcmsys.com/~brammer/ourbest.htm

That site is a hoot . . . especially as they seem to be completely serious . . .
0 Replies

limbodog

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 02:36 pm
Setanta wrote:
limbodog wrote:

That site is a hoot . . . especially as they seem to be completely serious . . .

I give the benefit of the doubt. They've got some interesting evidence. Enough to make me almost want to try to duplicate their efforts.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 02:37 pm
Good luck, Boss, be sure not to tell me your results . . .
0 Replies

limbodog

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 02:38 pm
Setanta wrote:
Good luck, Boss, be sure not to tell me your results . . .

We who refuse to accept evidence that contradict our preconceived notions make baby jesus cry. Smile

Lucky me, I've got no preconceived notions on this particular topic, so i can go ahead and enjoy the mystery.
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 12:36 am
Setanta wrote:
limbodog wrote:

I didn't believe until I heard the ghost dog at that site. I'm converted. Thats it, there must be an afterlife.
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 04:33 pm
If there is such a thing as an afterlife, it's supposed to last for a long time. Another supposition is that all human beings go there after their lives here end.
Assuming that I'm human, and have something that can be reasonably called a life, I will go there to after my death.
That might have a serious negative impact on the capabilities of all other beings there trying to enjoy a semi - eternal state of hapiness. I think the alternative is more desirable, especially seen from the viewpoint of a firm utilitarianist, talking about the greatest hapiness for the greatest number. So, no afterlife. Either that, or an afterlife only for the elite.

My question is, is this merely a wish, or is it proof?
Naj
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 04:44 pm
najmelliw wrote:
If there is such a thing as an afterlife, it's supposed to last for a long time. Another supposition is that all human beings go there after their lives here end.
Assuming that I'm human, and have something that can be reasonably called a life, I will go there to after my death.
That might have a serious negative impact on the capabilities of all other beings there trying to enjoy a semi - eternal state of hapiness. I think the alternative is more desirable, especially seen from the viewpoint of a firm utilitarianist, talking about the greatest hapiness for the greatest good. So, no afterlife. Either that, or an afterlife only for the elite.

My question is, is this merely a wish,or is it proof?
Naj

Naj,
I'd have to say that is more of a wish.
Because, how about this scenario:
All the elite get to go to heaven.
The "bad" people go somewhere else where they don't bother the elite (hell, purgatory, earth again, whatever).

So, you could have an afterlife, with the elite in eternal happiness, not bothered by the un-elite.

(not that I can prove the above or even like the above model...just saying its a possible afterlife where the elite could be happy without negative impact..)
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 04:59 pm
Quote:

So, you could have an afterlife, with the elite in eternal happiness, not bothered by the un-elite.

When I combine this remark with the post above mine, where you state you are convinced there is an afterlife because you hear the ghost dog baying... Does it mean the elite is the dogs?
That does bring forth some very interesting questions....
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Naj
0 Replies

extra medium

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 05:08 pm
najmelliw wrote:
Quote:

When I combine this remark with the post above mine, where you state you are convinced there is an afterlife because you hear the ghost dog baying... Does it mean the elite is the dogs?
That does bring forth some very interesting questions....
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Naj

Yes. Wasn't there a movie or book or something "All Dogs go to Heaven"?
0 Replies

limbodog

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 07:39 am
My personal favorite: What if there's no particular place you've (rather, your 'soul') gotta be when you die?

I think I'd go explore the universe after making a few stops at Rebecca Romijn & Milla Jovovich's places respectively.
0 Replies

najmelliw

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 07:41 am
As opposed to: All cats go to hell? On a personal note, I'm fairly convinced there's alittle devil hidden in every cat....
0 Replies

stanlen

Reply Fri 16 Jul, 2004 07:45 am
"Life is a brief interval between periods of non-existance"
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 10:21 am
There is no "proof" either way, but given the fact that drugs, disease, and injury to the brain profoundly affect our awareness, memories and sense of self, it is highly unlikely that any alleged "soul" exists that can survive the decay of the physical brain that produced it.
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 11:24 am
That depends on what you mean by a soul.

(Jeez, how do I always end up arguing the f**king religious side...)
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 11:28 am
To elaborate; you say 'it is highly unlikely that any alleged "soul" exists that can survive the decay of the physical brain that produced it'.

Erm, the popularly held contention is that the brain does not create the soul. God does (shut up fortune, just shut up before you do it again).

Therefor the soul is not damaged or really altered at all by the state of the brain (oh that's it, just shoot me)
0 Replies

Terry

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 12:07 pm
Fortune, as I understand it, people who believe in an eternal soul expect that it will survive the death of their body and retain the memories that they accumulated over the course of their life. If that is true, then why can't the souls of Alzheimer's patients remember things? Why can't the soul of a person in a coma communicate with anyone? Why do brain injuries reduce mental abilities? And why do mind-altering drugs change your perspective on life?

If the soul were God-given and independent of the body, physical changes to the brain would not affect it. That is clearly not the case; therefore I do not believe in eternal souls and an afterlife.
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 01:29 pm
Actually, in most versions of the afterlife that I've inquired into, the self, after death, exists in a perfect form. So even if your head gets busted wide open when you're alive and you end up a vegetable for twenty years, after you die you get to be good as new again (you know, except you don't have a body).
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Sat 24 Jul, 2004 01:31 pm
By the way. You said the souls of Alzheimers patients don't remember anything. I think you are confusing the concept of a soul with the capabilities of the physical body.

(Oh pleeeze don't get me into another religious debate)
0 Replies