Olympic Games 2004 in Athens,Greece

fbaezer

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 11:39 am
We get a daily summary, and the media is always stressing that our paralympians fare better than the olympians.

My wife has a theory of good paralympic results:
"Middle class" countries like Mexico or Brazil (hey, and maybe Croatia) are better because they have enough money for a wheelchair, clutches or a training spot, but don't have fancy rehab centers or enough infrastructure that takes the needs of "people with different capacities" into real account. So our society gives our paralympians a chance, but is tougher on them than First World societies. So they get strong. While in dirt-poor countries, they don't even have money for clutches.
0 Replies

MyOwnUsername

Reply Tue 14 Sep, 2004 11:55 am
well, yeah, we do have daily summaries as well, but they don't have any live coverage of any events.

Your wife's theory is pretty good fbaezer Wink
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 04:29 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
We get of course a daily summary, but only the opening and end ceremony plus the one or the other competition are covered live.

Even in Sydney, we didn't get anything but the opening and closing ceremonies live. All we got was a 2 hour summary each afternoon on the government sponsored broadcaster (ABC).

My satellite TV provider offered 2 Olympic channels (for a bit extra) for the main games. I would've happily paid for a couple more weeks to get decent coverage of the para's.

I should note that the crowds in Sydney were by far the biggest that have ever attended a Paralympic games. For many of the athletes it was the first time they'd ever competed in front of large crowds. Many of the events were completely full. There was in excess of 15 000 at the 2 basketball games I saw. The aquatic centre was completely full for the entire 2 weeks.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 15 Sep, 2004 10:00 am
You can get live coverage on digital channels as well as a very broad coverage. (Those, who have digital tv, I mean.)
0 Replies

melbournian cheese

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 01:46 am
when does the paralympics start?
0 Replies

melbournian cheese

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 01:47 am
wait, ignore that. It has already been answered by one 'Walter Hinteler'
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 04:56 am
Yes, tomorrow it will start.

melbournian cheese wrote:
one 'Walter Hinteler'

one? So there are a second Walter Hinteler? (kidding) [Maybe his father have this name,too]
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 06:05 am
I hope we do get some decent coverage. The odds those people overcome to do what they do is inspirational. I once saw a guy with no arms or legs who could run faster on his artificial legs than I ever could with my able body. (Not that my body has ever been that athletically able).
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 16 Sep, 2004 07:33 am
Thok wrote:
[Maybe his father have this name,too]

No, - m the first and only 'Walter' in our family since 1287.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Fri 17 Sep, 2004 06:17 am
Actually before the Paralympic starts, there is already the first doping case.

Sprinter Earle Connor suspended from Paralympic team

Quote:
Canadian sprinter Earle Connor has been suspended from the Canadian Paralympic team pending the final review of his positive drug test by the Canadian Centre for Ethics in Sport.

Connor, a Calgary native who is one of the world's top disabled athletes, tested positive for trace amounts of testosterone and nandrolone in an out-of-competition test Aug. 23.

"The Canadian Paralympic Committee is disappointed and saddened by this situation involving Earl Connor," Brian McPherson, the CPC's director general, said in a release Thursday. "We hope that the matter will be concluded as quickly as possible so the focus can turn to the outstanding performances of the athletes on Team Canada."

Connor will remain suspended from the team until the matter is completely concluded by the CCES. The Paralympics begin Friday.

Connor said in a statement Wednesday that he had used a medically prescribed patch that aids in normalizing testosterone levels after surgery in 2001 to remove one of his testes due to cancer related concerns. He also said he's been taking prescribed and supplemental medications since being diagnosed with a severe gastro-intestinal infection at a competition in Germany in July.

Earlier this year, Connor won the prestigious Laureus World Sport Award as the world's top athlete with a disability. He is the world record holder in the men's amputee 100, 200 and 400 metres, as well as the 60 metres indoors.

"Athletes within the team were surprised and disappointed about the situation," said chef de mission Louis Barbeau. "However, since this happened outside and prior to the Games, it will not have any impact on the overall performance of the team, nor their spirit."

At the Paralympics in Sydney in 2000, Connor won gold in the 100 metres and silver in the 200. Afterwards he had the words 'Silver Hurts' tattooed on his foot.

His goal for Athens was gold in both the 100 and 200, and to run a sub-12-second 100 metres. His world record is 12.14, set last summer.

The five-foot-nine, 170-pound sprinter, who is sponsored by Nike, lost his left leg at three months because of a problem with his fibula. He runs with a state of the art prosthesis, and took up sprinting after seeing the 1996 Paralympics on TV.

CP-Canada
0 Replies