Sofia

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 08:48 pm
chug!
chug!
chug!
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 02:32 am
It's annoying really, because I suspect I'd probably agree with PDiddie's actual arguments when he makes them.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 04:38 am
What's annoying to me is the constant carping on it.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 04:39 am
Yeah, i never liked carp, neither . . . too many bones . . .

Catfish, now, i can eat all day . . .
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 05:00 am
Catfish is good, once you get the fur and whiskers off.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 05:12 am
Don't let that Miss Olga hear ya sayin' that, Boss . . .
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 06:45 am
Sofia wrote:
PDiddie wrote:
agrote wrote:
Have you ever actually formulated an argument or expressed any kind of opinion, or do you just spend all of your time on here quoting the dictionary?

I have nearly 5000 posts on this forum that would answer that question. If you click on my username you can find all of them.

Since you are new here, agrote, let me remind you that when you established your own username you agreed to abide by the Terms of Service, which forbid personal attacks and name-calling and the like.

We attack the ideas here, not the people.

I'll ask that you exhibit greater effort at meeting the TOS and refrain from the ad hominems, please.

When a person resort to epithets, they have run out of arguments, which is a back-handed way of conceding the point (whether you knew that or not).

Are there any contentions in my posts in this thread that you would like to discuss?

This is the purest piece of **** I've ever seen here.
Hilarious.
agrote--Don't concern yourself. This guy is the first to turn a conversation ino a personal attack, and lives for ad hominem.

I do feel better now though, knowing each time he did it, he was obviously conceding my point, as his patient description above reveals. I guess I can feel better about all the personal insults from now on.

*Wonder how many of those 5000 contain some form of rude, personal comment. (Check that out before you start quivering, agrote.)

**Wonder if his ratio is worse than mine...
Smile

Heh, I just assumed PDiddie was making a joke! Laughing
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 07:20 am
While typically I'm at ideologic odds with both, I'd venture to say both McG and PDiddie have setablished for themselves ouerves clearly indicative of cogent thinking, diligent research, insightful commentary, and well developed sense of humor. I'd venture also to say both of 'em demonstrate a clear proclivity for pushing the envelope of civility. I happen to think both are valuable contributors, despite occasional ill-considered, impolitic, impolite, ill-tempered tantrums, but if awards were to be given in such regard, I figure top spot would just about have to go to our most deservingly esteemed colleague, Setanta. Razz

You find yourself in a pretty tough, hard-playin' crowd, here agrote; if you intend to carve yourself a niche, you've got some tough work in front of ya. Rest assured; you'll get the respect you earn.

And I'll say too there are few folks hereabouts more deserving of, or accorded, more respect than Edgar, even if he is one of them damned namby-pamby libruls Twisted Evil

Oh, and I respect Sofia too ... damned sharp claws. Good thing she's just a gurl. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 08:15 am
Hrumph about the McG/PD equation! Sense of humour, OK - as often as McG's jokes make me <snip>, they do also often make me grin. But "diligent research"? McG? C'mon! <grins>. I'm sure even McG himself won't mind if I scoff at that ...

McG shares the, err, elliptic conciseness in which he states his opinions with that of edgar - and the err, confrontative passion with which he states 'em with, say, Wilso ...

PD may share the same passion - but puts a lot more diligence in his posts. He's, like ... he shares the supreme confidence in the rightness and success of his side that you exhibit about yours, Timber; but nevertheless presents as well-informed as passionate an opinion, comparable to, say ... Sofia when she's in a feisty mood.

Thaz, like, what I say ...
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 08:29 am
timberlandko wrote:
Iverson's declaration that The Republican Party would denounce any Republican presidential ad comparing Democrats to Hitler is quite to the point, which point being that the Republicans did not compare Democrats to Hitler but rather pointed out in their own ad through use of the MoveOn-sourced ad that among those championing the Democratic Party's cause were some that specifically and unambiguosly compared The Incumbent to Hitler. Cheapshots both ways, IMO.

I can certainly sympathize with your increasingly difficult position, timber. You want to criticize the Democrats for a "Hitler ad" that they neither created, approved, or even aired (indeed, one which both Kerry and MoveOn.org disavowed), yet, at the same time, you want to defend the Republicans for a "Hitler ad" that they most certainly created, approved, and aired (and you can still view it by going to the official Bush-Cheney website). The finely drawn distinctions that you need to make (e.g. the Democrats' [sic] Hitler ad criticized THE PRESIDENT -- as if that's somehow worthy of particular reproach) look, to all but the most partisan eye, like the lame, pathetic rationalizations that they actually are.

And now you've backed yourself into a logical corner: your rather empty concession that both ads were "cheapshots" suggests that they were comparable cheapshots, even though one was fired by an individual with no connection to the Democratic party or the Kerry campaign, while the other was fired with the full knowledge and support of the president of the United States. Surely, if we are to condemn "cheapshots," we should at least consider the status of the shooter and the size of the weapon.

But I have no particular interest in seeing you make even more futile efforts to wriggle out of your impossible position, timber. All things considered, you seem to be a decent enough fellow, and, unless you wish to prolong it, I'm content to leave this discussion where it stands.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 09:11 am
Whaddarya talkin' about, nimh ... McG uses all sortsa links and quotes and cut-and-pastes :wink:

Elipitical Edger, though ... that's pretty good ... right up there with Pedantic PDiddie Laughing

Joe, I've said both were cheapshots all along, and I really don't see much point in assigning quantitative or qualitative degree of cheapness to chaepshots ... a cheapshot is a cheapshot. I do get a kick out of your vigorous, but to my mind unsuccessful, attempts to assign such differences. You're a pretty decent sort yourself, in my estimation, and I'm perfectly willing to let this horse lay where it died, and I'll go so far as to give you a freebie opportunity to deliver the ceremonial last wallop before we both leave off beating the carcass. I'm done with stirrin' up the resultant cloud of flies.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 09:35 am
timberlandko wrote:
Whaddarya talkin' about, nimh ... McG uses all sortsa links and quotes and cut-and-pastes :wink:

I have no idea how to respond to that. The wink is throwing me off balance.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 09:44 am
Mr. Green
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 11:07 am
Eelipticle. Hm. Neat.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 01:53 pm
http://www.drudgereport.com/ozzy.jpg

Another cloud of flies. Click the picture.

More

Edited to add second link - timber
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 02:02 pm
I'd call for Ozzy and the Nuge in the ring, but I'm pretty sure that would either turn out like Tyson-Spinks or Tyson-Holyfield.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 02:17 pm
So, err, is the Democratic Party now also to publicly denounce Ozzy's latest tricks if it's not to be blamed for his antics, or can the two just be left unrelated?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Thu 15 Jul, 2004 02:18 pm
timberlandko: Just let it go, man.
0 Replies