Neo-Conservatives

PDiddie

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 06:26 am
Hey Big Bird.

It's late for me...
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 06:44 am
PDiddie is a known homo sapiens and a practicing thespian . . .
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 06:56 am
Asherman wrote:

"Timber,

We might also note that the Roundtable, a sort of reservation for conservatives, was "temporarily" taken down and never replaced. Many conservative, or even open-minded, folks avoid the political threads like poison. The tone of the leftish among us is embarrassing and shameful."

And:

"My first post above was intended to extend the olive branch, as plea for us to come together in a time when a determined, fanatical enemy is willing to die to destroy Western civilization and the United States. What I seem to have done is provide myself as a target for those who seem to believe that the United States, and its leadership, is somehow to blame for a group a fanatical idealists who want to destroy the humanistic and materialistic values of the West."

Asherman - you are a case!!!!!

Your idea of an olive branch is most people's idea of being beaten about the head with a blunt cutlass.

You seem unable to refrain for an instant from your usual rant - and then react with horror when people are irked!!!
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 07:07 am
The bunny said "usual rant"

he heheh hehehe <snort>

Mr. Green

http://www.swissunderground.ch/_files/webs/jackhere/imgs/beavis%20and%20butthead%20banging_1.gif
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 07:18 am
Damn. Was gonna edit for grumpiness, but now I am sprung.

Is there no time around here when a person can get irritated alone in a forest, where nobody hears it?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 08:38 am
Asherman wrote:
I don't know of any Republicans who characterize Kerry as Hitler, or even as Chamberlain.

Then you haven't been paying attention.

Der Furor: Bush Plays the Nazi Card
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 09:16 am
Joe, your attention has wandered a bit ... the ad in question originally appeared on moveon's website, as a contest entry, scoring rather well, BTW, untill media attention and resultant furor resulted in its removal from the competition. The media file itself, however, was not pulled from the website, as moveon claimed, but merely Renamed. When that fact became known a week or so ago, the file shortly thereafter became no longer available under its reassigned name. Whether it now is gone from the site or not, I don't know. What I do know is that the Bush ad in question referenced the fact that The Left played the Nazi Card, and now The Left is trying to spin its way out of its error.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 09:28 am
Big Bird wrote:
What I do know is that the Bush ad in question referenced the fact that The Left played the Nazi Card, and now The Left is trying to spin its way out of its error.

Geeze that's a broad brush--where you find a brush that broad which will stand up to the weight of so much tar? Are they expensive?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 09:34 am
Ya puzzle me, Set ... broad brush perhaps, but no error of fact.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 09:37 am
So then, you are stating that as a matter of demonstrable fact, "The Left played the Nazi card . . ."?

Everyone who anyone could care to define as The Left is responsible for the handful of individuals who posted such tripe at the Moveon.org site?

Awfully damned broad brush, Boss, and the weight of tar is incredible . . .
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 09:42 am
Ahhh ... the generic "The Left" perhaps is too broad a brush. Revise to read "Some on The Left" ... happy now?
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 09:42 am
timberlandko wrote:
Joe, your attention has wandered a bit ... the ad in question originally appeared on moveon's website, as a contest entry, scoring rather well, BTW, untill media attention and resultant furor resulted in its removal from the competition. The media file itself, however, was not pulled from the website, as moveon claimed, but merely Renamed. When that fact became known a week or so ago, the file shortly thereafter became no longer available under its reassigned name. Whether it now is gone from the site or not, I don't know. What I do know is that the Bush ad in question referenced the fact that The Left played the Nazi Card, and now The Left is trying to spin its way out of its error.

Cripes, timber, were you briefed by Karl Rove? You certainly have the talking points down pat.

Let's get a few things straight:
1. MoveOn.Org is not affiliated with the Democratic Party or the Kerry campaign.
2. The "Hitler ad" submitted to MoveOn.Org was done by an individual not affililiated with MoveOn.Org, the Democratic Party, or the Kerry campaign.
3. The GOP's "Hitler ad," in contrast, was paid for and approved by the Bush-Cheney campaign.

It is, to say the least, laughable to suggest that the "left played the Nazi card" first, and thus the GOP now has a free pass to smear Kerry, since the "left," in this case, isn't MoveOn.Org, the Democratic Party, or John Kerry's campaign. I will, however, give the GOP points for consistency: after all, this wouldn't be the first time the Republicans have identified one enemy and then launched an attack on an entirely different target.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 09:47 am
timberlandko wrote:
Ahhh ... the generic "The Left" perhaps is too broad a brush. Revise to read "Some on The Left" ... happy now?

That is slightly more acceptable . . . and no, i'm never happy to see someone intelligent stoop to condemning an entire class of people for the idiocy of a few.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 10:02 am
C'mon, BPB ... "Look what you did" "Uh-uhhh ... you did it first" "uh-uhhhh ... you did it worse" etc.

This looks like a job for Godwin's Law
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 10:10 am
timberlandko wrote:
C'mon, BPB ... "Look what you did" "Uh-uhhh ... you did it first" "uh-uhhhh ... you did it worse" etc.

As if I needed any more evidence of misdirected attacks. Exactly how did BiPB get involved in this?

timberlandko wrote:
This looks like a job for Godwin's Law

Make sure that Asherman gets the message: he was the one who first invoked Hitler's name in this thread.
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 12:00 pm
You rock, Joe! Smile
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 12:44 pm
PDiddie wrote:
Asherman wrote:
Timber,

We might also note that the Roundtable, a sort of reservation for conservatives, was "temporarily" taken down and never replaced. Many conservative, or even open-minded, folks avoid the political threads like poison. The tone of the leftish among us is embarrassing and shameful.

I knew you wouldn't be able to maintain a civil tone for long...

This, from one who has never acheived it...
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 09:17 pm
the reincarnation of suzy wrote:
You rock, Joe! Smile

Yes. Yes I do.

Thanks for noticing.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 10:32 pm
Sorry for the mis-appelation there, Joe ... my fault entirely. That happens sometimes when I've got several threads open at one time; I'm easy to confuse. As to "Who" was "First" ... hardly relevant.
Yes, Asherman said " ... I don't know of any Republicans who characterize Kerry as Hitler ...", a not unfounded observation, to which you responded "Then you haven't been paying attention", implying that indeed Republicans had so characterized Kerry, a patently false assertion, the invalidity of which assertion I pointed out,and to which illustration you took exception.

Quote:
Let's get a few things straight:
Yes, lets do.
Quote:
1. MoveOn.Org is not affiliated with the Democratic Party or the Kerry campaign.
Of course not; that would violate their tax status. Do you purport them to be a non partisan organization? Do you suggest their partisanship is other than Democratic Party oriented?
Quote:
2. The "Hitler ad" submitted to MoveOn.Org was done by an individual not affililiated with MoveOn.Org, the Democratic Party, or the Kerry campaign.
And was not it submitted with intent of furtherence of the cause of The Democratic Party?
Quote:
3. The GOP's "Hitler ad," in contrast, was paid for and approved by the Bush-Cheney campaign.
And it used a bit of opposition-sourced propaganda to illustrate what it perceives to be the hypocracy of The Opposition. Tarring the villain from his own pot, so to speak.

Quote:
It is, to say the least, laughable to suggest that the "left played the Nazi card" first,

No it is not; they did. Not The Democratic Party, per se, admittedly, but the card decidedly was first played in this instance by "The Left"; the piece in question was created and submitted by an individual or individuals of leftist persuasuion to a contest of clear and specifically directed political intent sponsored by an activist organization itself of clear leftist persuasion. Do you dispute that?
Quote:
and thus the GOP now has a free pass to smear Kerry,
Smear by presenting documented fact relating to the actions of the supporters of one's opponent? Sorta hard to do.
Quote:
since the "left," in this case, isn't MoveOn.Org, the Democratic Party, or John Kerry's campaign.
For what ourpose beyond the furtherence of the Democratic Party's quest to elect its candidates does MoveOn exist? And for what cause beyond the election of its candidates, anong whom John Kerry is titular chief, does The Democratic Party exist?
Quote:
I will, however, give the GOP points for consistency: after all, this wouldn't be the first time the Republicans have identified one enemy and then launched an attack on an entirely different target.
Perhaps the only valid criticism you leveled. I don't buy it though, but then I apparently see "The Target" differently than do you.
0 Replies

agrote

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 02:52 am
ped·ant (pdnt) n.
One who pays undue attention to book learning and formal rules.
One who exhibits one's learning or scholarship ostentatiously.
Obsolete. A schoolmaster.

Yes I think you're one of those PDiddie. If you don't think you're a pedant, it's because you're being too pedantic over the definition of 'pedantic.' Have you ever actually formulated an argument or expressed any kind of opinion, or do you just spend all of your time on here quoting the dictionary?
0 Replies