:edit:
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,493 • Replies: 11
No top replies

fishin

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 01:12 pm
I doubt your g/f's mother can legally force her to have an abortion. If your g/f told the doctor that she was being forced into this by her mother I doubt they'd go through with doing it. That doesn't mean her mother can't make her life miserable in other ways though.

But yoiu need better advice that is specific to your state and location (the laws are different in each state) so I'd suggest you open the Yellow Pages and find the phone number for the nearest Planned Parenthood office and talk to a counselor that deals with this sort of thing daily.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 01:22 pm
Planned Parenthood is an excellent source of current and unbiased information.

Online: http://www.plannedparenthood.org/Zip.htm

Laws vary from state to state. Many states give parents considerable lattitude in dealing with Incorrigible Offspring. Your girlfriend might not wind up on the street in a snowstorm, but she could be institutionalized. Her mother may not be able to enforce adoption or abortion, but she has the right to refuse to raise a grandchild. You and your girlfriend may want to live up to your responsibilties, but raising a child involves a great deal of time and money.

What do your parents say?
0 Replies

arcvile

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 01:56 pm
I live in Texas.
My girlfriend's mother is very "irresponsible", and does not take care of her children at all. My girlfriend is basically already the *mother* of the house.
My parents may allow her to move in with us, my father is in the US ARMY, and is leaving in for a year tour in Korea, in about a month. I do not think my mother would not have a problem with this as long as I am working and can support our baby myself. Are there ways to get my girlfriend allowed to move in with my parents instead of hers? as in my parents being her legal guardian?? Thank you for any answers in advance.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 02:06 pm
arcvile wrote:
Are there ways to get my girlfriend allowed to move in with my parents instead of hers? as in my parents being her legal guardian?? Thank you for any answers in advance.

There is a process called "emancipation" which results in a minor basially being treated as an adult. I'd assume she'd have to be able to demonstrate to a judge that either her parents are abusive and/or that she is capable (both $$ and maturity) to look after herself. These are questions that should come up further down the road after you two get the basics settled.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 02:12 pm
Did you ever consider marrying her? I would assume if the girl is pregnant, it might be easier to get an approval by a judge. If you were married, her mother could not force her to do anything, either legally, or by moral suasion.

Noddy is right. That is the kind of question that Planned Parethood would probably be able to be of assistance. Good Luck!

http://www.dfwx.com/marriagelicense.htm

Quote:
18 years. If under 18, a parent or legal guardian must sign permission. The parent or guardian must bring your birth certificate 18 years. If under 18, a parent or legal guardian must sign permission. The parent or guardian must bring your birth certificate to prove parentage and ID to prove he/she is your parent. A legal guardian must provide prove of guardianship.

If no parent or guardian will sign, you can ask a District Court for permission to marry anyway. This probably will be costly and require an attorney.
0 Replies

arcvile

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 04:27 pm
We both want to be married, and I know my parents will sign for the marriage. I guess I will talk to some people to find out just how complicated it is to get us married.
0 Replies

arcvile

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 07:55 pm
I have also found on the internet, that in Kentucky and a handful of other states, that if a teen couple is pregnant together, they can be married without parental consent at all.
Do i have to be a resident of this state for this to be in effect?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 08:50 pm
arcvile wrote:
I have also found on the internet, that in Kentucky and a handful of other states, that if a teen couple is pregnant together, they can be married without parental consent at all.
Do i have to be a resident of this state for this to be in effect?

Umm.. You should double check those claims. The KY Statute on Marriages for anyone under 18 has a clause that reads "In case of pregnancy the male and female, or either of them, specified in subparagraph 1. or 2. of this paragraph, may apply to a District Judge for permission to marry, which application may be granted, in the form of a written court order, in the discretion of the judge. There shall be a fee of
five dollars ($5) for hearing each such application."

http://www.lrc.state.ky.us/KRS/402-00/CHAPTER.HTM

There is no special exemption. If either person in a proposed marriage is under age 18 they need either a parent/guardian's signature or permission from a judge. In the case of KY you can only go to a judge if the female is pregnant. Otherwise if she is under 18 she must have a parent's signature. It's basically the same law as TX (and everywhere else) only TX doesn't require there to be a pregnancy.

But... Don't try to second guess the system. Really. People have been in your situation for years and the holes have pretty well been plugged. Get yourself some counseling from someone that can give you legit info on your options.

Good luck!
0 Replies

arcvile

Reply Mon 12 Jul, 2004 09:50 pm
Just how hard would it be to get a judge's approval? Any idea how much money is involved in these things??
Sorry if I am asking too many questions, I just like this place because you guys are very helpful and kind.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 05:42 am
arcvile--

As fishin' says, "There is no good way to beat the system." You and your girl friend are more likely to impress her mother--and your parents--with your maturity if you try to work things out in Texas--not just the marriage, but making the "happily ever after" part work.

Suppose you can get to Kentucky, meet any residence requirements, find a sympathetic District Justice, and be married. Then what?

Drop out of school and flip burgers?

I'm delighted that A2K is being helpful, but we're not experts on Texas. We don't know what your legal options are. We don't know about job possibilities. We can't reason with anyone's mother.

Keep us posted. We care. Call Planned Parenthood. Talk to your high school guidance department. Deal with the problems in Texas.

Good luck.
0 Replies

lab rat

Reply Tue 13 Jul, 2004 06:40 am
Another possible resource besides Planned Parenthood (since many conservatives associate Planned Parenthood with a pro-abortion agenda) is BirthRight International--you can check them out at www.birthright.org/htmpages/
Another alternative is the Crisis Pregnancy Center network, www.cpc.org

Both of these organizations are pro-life--they specialize in helping you find options other than abortion and can help with legal referrals, emergency housing, etc.
0 Replies