Mid-range notebook PCs-My detailed comparison ... any leads?

Monger

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 01:21 pm
Over the last 2 days I've been shopping for a desperately needed new notebook, and stumbled across a couple good deals along the way. While comparing systems, I wanted to make sure I got the best value so I wrote everything out into a big spreadsheet to better compare stuff. I put a fair bit of work into it, so I figured I'd offer it here in case anyone here is in the market & it happens to help them out ...here are some of the systems I liked best:

Laptop Comparison.xls

Most listed there were customized with the best available deals to fit the way I (and my budget) liked them, but some were also configured to make comparison more straightforward.

Most of 'em are close to the following specs: $1000-$1600, 2.8-3.2GHz CPU (or PentiumM1.8GHz), 512MB RAM (on one DIMM whenever affordable, so future upgrades will be easier), 40-80GB HDD, 4xDVD+RW/CD-RW, 802.11b/g wireless NIC, 12-cell Li-ion battery, Floppy drive (built in whenever possible), 14.1"-17" LCD.

I haven't purchased a system yet (the ones listed with their names in bold I'm considering right now), so if you know of any good deals with similar specs please do lemme know. Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 752 • Replies: 9
No top replies

PDiddie

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 03:38 pm
Eavesdropping...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 03:46 pm
Would you consider frankies and eBay?

Couple comments:

On eBay I have bought brand new Dells for a lot cheaper than Dell sold em.

I got a 2.x (I think it's 3 or so) 256 MB Dell in its box for about 800 once.

I slapped a GB of RAM on it and it's sweet.

There are also some frankensteins that will pack in a good video card. IMO that's where all my deals were weak. I have 1 GB of memory but an onboard card. A Frankie for the same price would have been a better gamer's choice (I don't play games anymore, so it doesn't bother me).

Another for my disjointed post: I actually prefer an external wireless card, just slap it in the slot.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 03:47 pm
BTW, I have 256 notebook ram I can give you (though it may be useless to you, I think it's 2 128s). They are brand new and I don't have time to sell them.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 04:33 pm
Cool, thanks!! I could use one of them, since I plan to have one slot open.

I'm not much of a gamer anymore either, so I don't care too much about the graphics card...I could live with a card using 64MB of shared memory.

I'm definitely interested in frankensteins....I just don't yet know of any US sites with good prices & customization capabilities (& I don't wanna go through the hassle of buying parts individually & putting it together, though I'd have it no other way if I were getting a desktop). I tried www.buydirectpc.com , but for what I wanted they were slightly more expensive than many comparable name brand systems on my list. Know of any other good ones?

I hadn't thought about looking for *new* systems on eBay...I'm still a bit wary since being able to customize is nice, & I do want something in mint condition. But I might check it out, thanks for the idea!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 04:55 pm
If you search eBay, you can find a lot of the frankie manufacturers.

I was looking for a big one I used to see there but didn't find him.

Anywho this is the type of frankie deal you can get:

3.2GHz P4 LAPTOP+1GB DDR+60GB (7200RPM)+DVD BURNER+ATI

1800 brand new.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 05:01 pm
Found the one I was looking for, here's their non-ebay store:

http://www.internetishop.com/

P4 2.8G 512M/ 60G(5400)/ ATI 128M/ Combo/15.4 WXGA for under 1400

P4 3.0G 512M/ 60G(5400)/ ATI 128M/ DVDRW/15.4 WXGA for under 1600
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 08:52 pm
Those prices you quoted are higher than a couple comparable refurbished HP/Compaq systems on my list, but thanks Craven I'll definitely be checking that site out, & I created an ebay account so I can start tracking some systems there.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 09:33 pm
Be careful with all the scam emails you'll get if you bid on a puter.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 09:44 am
What I ended up getting (on ebay) was a factory-sealed, refurbished (with 1 year warranty) HP with P4 3.06GHz, DVD+RW, 15.4", 512MB (2 DIMMs), 60GB, 802.11g, heaps of ports, etc.

winning bid was around $1250

Actually, it was probly only about $150 off buying it from HP brand new, so it wasn't the deal of a lifetime or anything (near the end of the auction I was hoping someone would outbid me), but OK. (There were a couple significantly better deals on used systems that slipped by.)
0 Replies