First rule of Fight Club is.. TALK about Fight Club

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2003 04:19 pm
The film was newsworthy in Brazil because it touched off political debate about vilolence in movies.

During a showing of this film a deranged drug addict opened fire on the audience. The Brazilian media tried to tie in the violent movie to the act. They said that American style crime is being exported to Brazil (gratuitous violence is rare there).

I understand their concerns but Fight Club had nothing to do with it. Yes, it's a violent movie but the individual went to the theater armed and this was before he saw the film.

Anywho, I digest let's discuss the movie:
____

I didn't like it and thought it was a one trick film that was poorly done. I also thought it was a terrible picture of mental health (then again, I don't work with them).

My opinion might be explained by the fact that my brother (Lusatian) told me the secret before I watched it. One trick films can be terrible if you know the secret beforehand.

I'll begrudgingly say it was a good movie but my brother is an arse.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 5,094 • Replies: 12
No top replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2003 05:09 pm
It certainly doesnt aide your thoughts on the movie by knowing the critical impact point aforehand...
but, I dont think either that by that fact alone your other notes on it would be affected as well.

I enjoyed this movie, thought the editing was done well, the acting supurb and the story refreshing for a new twist.
After viewing the movie in its entirety I define it more as a phsycological thriller rather than violent.

Regarding your thoughts on the terrible picture of mental health...well, it aint pretty Wink
REally though, there are many forms of mental health and also many forms of depicting that, I think this film just walked away from the norm on that and as well, I found that refreshing.
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2003 05:51 pm
I am a member of the unofficial Non Fans of Fight Club Club.

I think it was not a bad movie, and that the key element -the one Lusatian told Craven about- is very cleverly played. But I would have minded if the Pitt character was what it at first seemed to be.
The movie is terribly overhyped, the ending is messy and, not that it's too violent, it's too senslessly violent.
In other words, I have a critical view of the film from a political sense.
I find that many young people liked it because they've never had an ideology to fight for, or even an ideology to fight against. So they clap blind rebelliousness. I don't. I never had. But I'm from another generation (gasp).

Some statistics might help me in this generation point:

Average IMDB reting per age for Fight Club:
Under 18: 8.7
18 to 29: 8.8
30 to 44: 7.8
45 and over: 6.5
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2003 06:07 pm
There was a more subtle point to be explored, which may or may not be central to the book but that really didn't get examined in the movie, and that is the psychological effect of intentionally endured pain. Now that, I think, could have been interesting.

As it was, I just enjoyed the sensory experience of the movie theater, which is pretty much the only reason I go. If I think a movie will be good but doesn't bring the big noise, I just wait and watch it at home (unless I really want to see it right away).
0 Replies

vinchenso

Reply Sat 17 May, 2003 04:52 pm
hi
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 17 May, 2003 05:16 pm
I liked the movie in general, but hated the ending...it smacked of a bad Hollywood last minute rewrite....
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 17 May, 2003 05:30 pm
Hi vinchenso!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 17 May, 2003 06:08 pm
It seems that a good thread has >10% responses v visits. This one is lees than 1%. So I think the topic 'Fight Club" has proven that nobody really GAF's this movie.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 17 May, 2003 06:26 pm
farmerman,

That would be an astute observation if it weren't for the fact that this thread is linked to by the siteof the "unofficial Fight Club Fan Club". Many visitors view the thread but do not join due to the negative opinions expressed (see, they are looking for a fan club not talking down the movie).

That motivated one of them to start a separate thread to talk about the film without the nay sayers.

So the bottom line is that the reason for the high views is that this is linked to by another site.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 17 May, 2003 06:32 pm
Plus-- this convo started over at The Realm. I think it would have had more hits, but we'd already discussed it there.

I really liked it. My first official disagreement with Craven and LW. (And everybody, I think.)

Did we say the Pitt/Norton character exhibited Multiple personalities or schizophrenia?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 17 May, 2003 06:39 pm
I said neither. I was the guy who said it was not an accurate portrayal of mental illness.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sat 17 May, 2003 07:09 pm
Oohh. Mistake alert.

I was asking anyone in general (which could have included you) what the consensus on the main board had been, regarding what illness the Norton character suffered from.

Anyone--

Is it widely accepted as schizophrenia, or does anyone have a different view?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 17 May, 2003 07:12 pm
Multiple mistake. I was just answering you.

I don't speak for the consensus but I still say neither. The only name I'd give it is "screenwriter trying to be clever" disease. :-)
0 Replies