The Exorcist 1973 :: William Friedkin, William Peter Blatty

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 12:35 pm
If you're not seeing the parallels to "The Killing" in the way the characters interact, you're not seeing what I suspect -- Tarentino's being influenced by that film over many other crime films of the past. Our perceptions are differing and we are different people so let's let it lay where it is. I said I was finished with defending "Pulp Fiction," so on to more important things.
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 02:50 pm
Since you can't establish any parallel between THE KILLING and PULP FICTION, I rest my case.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 21 Feb, 2003 08:31 pm
It's in the scripts -- the way the characters speak rings true and the way they are motivated by one another to act in their birds-of-a-feather milieu. Not many crime films get this right. "The Killing" is a caper flick, probably a good model for many to follow. There's also the way the characters are shot (sic, again). I don't expect everyone to pick up on this but it says to me that Tarentino isn't as instrinsically talented as a directors as he might have had everyone believe with "Reservoir Dogs" and "Pulp Fiction." "Four Rooms" is a travesty of directorial quirks that don't work. "Jackie Brown" has some great performances, especially Robert Forster (always underrated), but I didn't find I got very involved with the story (I'm not an Elmore Leonard fan and I think Tarentino may have improved on the book). I could easily say that Tarentino is a better writer than a director.
0 Replies

larry richette

Reply Wed 26 Feb, 2003 10:11 am
In all fairness to Tarantino, JACKIE BROWN was an original screenplay, not based on Elmore Leonard. You still haven't established any connection between PULP FICTION and THE KILLING.
0 Replies