CHESS: how is this a sport??

jespah

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 04:17 pm
I believe ballroom dancing is also recognized by the IOC. Now, you do sweat and certainly there's opportunity for injury (sprained ankle, etc.), but, huh?

PS Walter, good to hear, though I imagine a few chess matches could be enlived by fisticuffs.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 04:38 pm
jespah wrote:

PS Walter, good to hear, though I imagine a few chess matches could be enlived by fisticuffs.

Then you should see my brother and me play. The games are quick (I average about 10 seconds a move, he'll average about 45) and there's lots of trash talking and last minute bets.

A fight could break out at any minute.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 04:42 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Has anyone here read Dan Simmons' Carrion Comfort? They played one wicked game of chess in that one!

I read that. That would probably qualify as an extreme sport. Maybe they could put it in the X games.

Craven, that's how I play with a buddy of mine. Vicious trash talking always makes anything, sport or not, better.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 05:46 pm
kickycan wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Has anyone here read Dan Simmons' Carrion Comfort? They played one wicked game of chess in that one!

I read that. That would probably qualify as an extreme sport. Maybe they could put it in the X games.
Shocked How is it possible that we've read so much of the same material, yet somehow you remain so clueless politically?
Razz

kickycan wrote:
Craven, that's how I play with a buddy of mine. Vicious trash talking always makes anything, sport or not, better.

Yup. Same with my bro-in-law and I... this guy even brings a timer to family get-togethers. Shocked
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 05:46 pm
Pffft Timer? That's what yelling "MOVE!" is for.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 05:48 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 08:04 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
kickycan wrote:
OCCOM BILL wrote:

Shocked How is it possible that we've read so much of the same material, yet somehow you remain so clueless politically?
Razz

I was thinking the exact same thing about you, Bill. Smile
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 08:09 pm
On the topic of vicious board game battling:

I once had a roommate who I played backgammon with, and I kept trying to get her to trash talk and get mean, but she didn't get it. Finally, after I beat her and kept giving her ****, she threw the board and all the pieces all over the room. I was so proud!
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 08:10 pm
I challenge either one of you weenies: http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28476
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 09:10 pm
Craven found Little k's underwire again!
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 09:13 pm
Gone again - damn random avatars.
0 Replies