Faster Than Time

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 07:26 am
Hypothetically, if you traveled to mars and back faster than light speed would the time spent traveling be unaccounted for?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,202 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 09:38 am
@jowldani,
When you say "hypothetically," I presume you are asking what science says about it. Science says that you cannot travel faster than light, or, at least, it says that you cannot do it by means of a rocket, and there is no science of using anything other than a rocket. Science does not give explanations of what would happen if you did something impossible, so it is silent on this subject.
jowldani

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 10:01 am
@Brandon9000,
Its hypothetcal, meaning in the " thought phase". I was really just wondering what would happen if you arrived to mars and back to earth faster than light. Would you have lived longer than anyone else at tha time? Im aware nothing can travel faster than light. If we could ,what would be the result?

Thank you for your post!
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 10:53 am
The answer would have to be "nobody knows, and nobody can know". You might as well ask "What would happen if two plus two equalled five?" or "What would happen if an irresistible cannonball hit an immovable post?".
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 10:54 am
@jowldani,
Tell me this:
If we could fly like birds, would there be traffic jams in the airspace?

How about if we could be invisible, could we move through walls unscathed?

If police could swim like fish in the ocean, would they hand out citations to cetaceans?
0 Replies

jowldani

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 02:15 pm
@jowldani,
Its a hypothetical question that could end up being possible. Have you ever heard of string teory and tachyons? I know tachyons havent been detected yet but its only a matter of time. This was supposed to be a fun question. You guys found a way to use current science to downgrade the question instead of creating your own hypothesis on the subject.
jowldani

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 04:00 pm
This I kind of annoying to me. This post was just a curiosity and has had some replies but my other topic is far more realistic and important to me right now. It has had more views and is more important (not that physics isn't important to me but the other topic I need to find out what to do as soon as I can) because it is affecting my daily life. Why will people post on this and not on my more relevant topic?
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 06:55 pm
@jowldani,
jowldani wrote:

Hypothetically, if you traveled to mars and back faster than light speed would the time spent traveling be unaccounted for?

I'm not sure the question can be answered, even as a hypothetical. But my interpretation of traveling faster than light is something like passing through a dimensional gateway in which you don't really "travel" across distance at all. It's more like jumping from point A to point B instantaneously. And if that happened, then no time would pass at all, either for the "traveller" or the person waiting at either end.
jowldani

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 06:57 pm
@rosborne979,
Thank you rosborne979!
0 Replies

jowldani

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 06:58 pm
@rosborne979,
Maybe thats what happened with the nutrinos at cern.
Brandon9000

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 08:11 pm
@jowldani,
jowldani wrote:
Its a hypothetical question that could end up being possible. Have you ever heard of string teory and tachyons? I know tachyons havent been detected yet but its only a matter of time.

Based on which theory should we answer your question? No one know what equations would govern such a situation.

Why do you say that it's only a matter of time before tachyons are detected? Do you have some evidence that no one else has that they exist? I thought that the most information that anyone had was that such a particle might be possible.
rosborne979

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 08:52 pm
@jowldani,
jowldani wrote:

Maybe thats what happened with the nutrinos at cern.

What about the neutrinos at CERN?
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 4 Jul, 2015 11:26 pm
@Brandon9000,
Quote:
Why do you say that it's only a matter of time before tachyons are detected?

I suspected that this might be joke (a play on words), but the amount of wit required seems inconsistent with the rest of that person's output.
jowldani

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2015 01:01 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
It was more of a fun question initially to inspire creativity but this topic was torn up and turned into something negative. I guess you cant post anything hypothetical on this forum.
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2015 01:27 am
@jowldani,
Quote:
I guess you cant post anything hypothetical on this forum.

You can post pretty much anything you like on this forum, as a quick survey will tell you. What you don't get (as in the real world) is the right to only get replies that you like. If people think you have asked a stupid or pointless question, they will post saying so. Think about your question for a minute. Since Special Relativity , which is the best guide we have about how the universe works, says nothing can be accelerated to the speed of light (let alone faster), then your hypothetical journey just couldn't take place. But since you are asking for "creativity", I'll try to go along. Since the amount of energy needed to accelerate an object nearer and nearer the speed of light increases exponentially, before you even got to light speed you would have to exhaust all the energy in the universe, so by the time (!) you got to Mars -- why is it always Mars in these damn questions? Why not Jupiter, or Fairbanks, Alaska? -- there would be no Mars to go to, and no Earth to return to, and no spaceship, and no you either. In any case as you got faster you would blue shift the microwave background radiation and increase its temperature. Eventually you'd roast the ship and all aboard. And if you got to beyond the speed of light (let's invent a sci-fi type "twist" to keep the plot intact*) you would end up arriving before you departed, and there would be a paradox, and you'd cause a Moebius twist in spacetime and become your own grandfather or something. And there'd be sexy green alien girls with pointy ears and nice boobs. Is that better?

* Like in Poul Anderson's Tau Zero.

Ionus

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2015 03:44 am
@jowldani,
Simply as a thought experiment, you would arrive before you left . This would enable you to be here and watch yourself leave . Because of the "relative wind" behaviour of light you would see the rear of the spaceship that was moving away move towards the destination after you saw the ship that was moving towards you appear in front of you and the rear of it move away .
So before launch you would see the arrival of the ship on its return leg, but only its rear, move away from you at the same time as it stayed in front of you, then you would see the rear of the ship on its outward leg leave, as the same time as the returned ship stayed in front of you .
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Sun 5 Jul, 2015 05:55 am
@jowldani,
jowldani wrote:

It was more of a fun question initially to inspire creativity but this topic was torn up and turned into something negative. I guess you cant post anything hypothetical on this forum.

Everything on A2K gets torn up and turned into something negative, at least by some people. In this case you also got some legitimate complaints about the structure of your hypothetical, and this came from people taking your question seriously (which isn't a bad thing). Welcome to A2K Smile
jowldani

Reply Mon 6 Jul, 2015 03:46 am
@rosborne979,
I appreciate your comment and yes there are a lot of large flaws in my question. The question was not intended to be, "can we travel faster than light speed" it was more toward, "what would happen if we did". I know it's known to be impossible and if it were proven possible it would force a rewrite on how we understand the universe because physics is based on the current theories. I don't normally post to forums. Actually, this is only the second topic I have ever made. I guess it was a bad question.
0 Replies

nacredambition

Reply Tue 7 Jul, 2015 12:18 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Quote:
And there'd be sexy green alien girls with pointy ears and nice boobs.

I'd prefer nice ears.
0 Replies