American Women and the Selective Service

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2003 10:59 am
Should the law mandate that American women register for the Selective Service and thus stand the chance of being drafted in case of war?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,452 • Replies: 30
No top replies

New Haven

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2003 11:00 am
Selective Service: Yes

Draft: Yes
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2003 11:17 am
American MEN shouldn't be drafted, let alone American women.
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2003 11:24 am
I don't believe anyone should be drafted. It is one thing to serve your country it is another to be forced to kill another human being (which could potentially be expected in a war, no?).
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2003 12:57 pm
If there must be a draft, women should be included.

Imagine if no one wanted to serve in the military?
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2003 04:12 pm
I suppose if it's good enough for men then it's good enough for women.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2003 04:17 pm
I don't believe that anyone, male or female, should be subject to the draft. I am against slavery or involuntary servitude!
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2003 05:25 pm
I voted dont know....
We have many who volunteer to be in the military, men and women and I believe they all serve, be it war or not.
To think that the time would come when we would institute the draft, well, I hope that we have moved beyond that. If not however I dont think being male or female should have anything to do with it. It should be will you or wont you be able to serve, can you serve, need more volunteers, etc.
My opinion is one of which it is not what gender you are that matters here.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2003 10:31 pm
I believe in equal opportunity. Wink ci
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2003 10:33 pm
I believe in equal opportunity for one and all.
0 Replies

Lash Goth

Reply Fri 10 Jan, 2003 11:08 pm
Women currently have the right to serve, as men do. I thank God we do not have to draft either, because people who do not want to serve, can make us wish they didn't.

I think there should be ONE skill level, not one discriminating in favor of women.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2003 04:13 pm
I heard that women, who are Marines never engage in combat. Shocked
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2003 09:03 am
I believe, at the moment, that no women engage in actual combat. The exception is Air Force fighter pilots. I believe that there are one or two women who actually fly bomber planes into war zones, but I could be mistaken.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2003 09:10 am
As I have said before, I am against the draft. In a volunteer military though, a person needs to be given a job that he/she is capable of doing. Some women are not cut out to be in combat, but neither are some men.

When these people are tested by the military, to see where they would serve best, there should be no difference in the prerequisites for men and women (except maybe height requirement) for a particular job. If a person can do it, fine. If not, there is plenty of work to do, and they could be assigned to a task where their talents could be put to best use.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2003 10:53 am
Phoenix, Your "maybe height requirement" caught my eye. I see nothing that would limit a very short or very tall person from any job with some simple design changes. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2003 10:59 am
Intersting responses. The women among my (pre-christian) ancestors went to war, willingly. When they were of child-bearing years, they stayed home to train the young men and women in the use of weapons. When their children were fully grown, they once again had to meet their military obligations, or provide a substitute.

I recall during the Gulf War an interview which was done with a major in the 101st Airborne, a helicopter pilot. It was made especially poignant, as she was killed on the first day of the war when her aircraft crashed in an advanced landing zone. I do not know if it were the result of hostile fire.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2003 11:02 am
c.i., people who are "too tall" don't get assigned to submarines, although much larger people can "fit" now than was the case in WWII. This makes sense, as well, since one would be unlikely to "re-design" a multi-billion dollar vessel to accomodate taller people.

The part about "too short" is interesting as well. When ships of the Hudsons Bay Company would leave on their annual voyage to Canada, they would stop in the islands of Scotland to hire new employees. During the wars of the French Revolution, and the Napoleonic wars, the Royal Navy and the Army took anyone who was over 5'5" tall--so HBC ended up with a lot of very short, Scots employees. Wonder if that effects the average height of males in Canada today?
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Mon 13 Jan, 2003 11:06 am
American women will fit nicely in a submarine. I would assume that many American women MDs are in the service. Very Happy
0 Replies

Sugar

Reply Mon 20 Jan, 2003 11:52 am
A great editorial about the draft that was in the Boston Globe yesterday.

http://www.boston.com/dailyglobe2/019/oped/Who_wants_the_draft_+.shtml
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Sat 25 Oct, 2003 12:39 am
In case of war:

Men drafted: Yes

Women drafted: No
0 Replies