What (or who) would you be willing to die for?

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 05:43 pm
Would you die for your country? Would you die for your religious beliefs? Your political ideals?

I would never die for any of these things. My immediate family is the only thing for which I could see myself putting my life at stake.

How about you?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,421 • Replies: 29
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 05:52 pm
I would probably get run over trying to save my dog from being hit by car, or interfere with someone trying to hurt my niece and get shot (this is unlikely, she is much stronger than I), or jump in the ocean to save someone floundering (I can swim, but am not an ocean swimmer) and drown both of us by mistake.

I might die for principle, it's possible. Have to think about that.
0 Replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 06:40 pm
I would die for my kids, of course.
I would die for my beliefs, as well.
0 Replies

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 06:44 pm
Regarding the latter, I have to add: But only if the choices were to renounce them or die. I would rather die with my integrity intact than to live without it.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 06:44 pm
Lots of things. If you wait until your immediate family is under direct threat you would could easlity be to late to save anyone in the long run.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 06:45 pm
suzy, what good is your integrity if you're dead?
0 Replies

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 06:56 pm
It's as good as me, dead.
But what is life without it? Same thing.
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 07:55 pm
nothing
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 08:03 pm
squinney and my cubs....
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 07:17 am
Currently as a mom, the most important thing is my children's lives. Therefore they only thing now I am willing to die for is my children. Even my poor husband now takes second fiddle. If it were a choice between him and me, I would choose him, only because I feel I am more important to my children's lives than he is. Prior to having children, my thoughts were different. Seeing I can have a very strong moral thoughts, I can see me dying for something like that - not know, but prior to kids.

By the way ossobuco as a teenager I did put my life in line to save my dog. A car was speeding down my street (a small road with lots of kids), my dog just happened to jump in the road at the time. It was still plenty of time for the driver to stop, but he apparently had no regard for life as he did not slow down one iota. I jumped in front of my dog and the car came to a skidding halt with the guy swearing at me.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 07:50 am
Linkat wrote:
Currently as a mom, the most important thing is my children's lives. Therefore they only thing now I am willing to die for is my children. Even my poor husband now takes second fiddle. If it were a choice between him and me, I would choose him, only because I feel I am more important to my children's lives than he is. Prior to having children, my thoughts were different. Seeing I can have a very strong moral thoughts, I can see me dying for something like that - not know, but prior to kids.

By the way ossobuco as a teenager I did put my life in line to save my dog. A car was speeding down my street (a small road with lots of kids), my dog just happened to jump in the road at the time. It was still plenty of time for the driver to stop, but he apparently had no regard for life as he did not slow down one iota. I jumped in front of my dog and the car came to a skidding halt with the guy swearing at me.

I hope your husband doesn't read on these posts. You need to be shopped out honey. No offense meant.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 08:09 am
Many, have died over the years in countless wars for their countries, a lot of them had no choice; they became heroes after their death.
My religious beliefs are not strong enough to die for, which means I could only give my life to be a hero for my family.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 08:50 am
Actually Bi-Polar I am just being totally honest and realistic. I know my husband well and although he loves our children, I am much closer and tend to their needs much more than he does. Prior to having children, my thoughts would be different. I would prefer to die before him. However, a mom's instinct is to do what is best for their children. My husband himself has said that I have a stronger bond with our children so I would tend to say he would agree with me. Maybe not be totally happy with it, but he would agree. Also, whenever he has a day off from work, he rarely spends it with the kids. He usually has them go to their typical care and might pick one up early to spend some quality time. Me, on the other hand, will plan an entire day around them and look forward to the time with them.

It is not that my husband is not important to them, of course he is and they love him. And it is not that I do not love my husband, I do. It is also not that I love my children more than him, it is that at my children's young age, they are basically venerable. They need protection. Some how once we got into a conversation about saving one person over another. I told him if it were ever a situation where he had to either save me or one or both of our children, he was to make sure he saves them. He didn't like that and said he would save us all. But that wasn't good enough for me. I wanted confirmation that he would save them first.

I also realize as the children get older, this will probably change and that is fine. My instinct now is to protect my children and do what is best for them.
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 09:56 am
cottage cheese
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 10:19 am
Dark chocolate!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 10:40 am
Right now, some gelato...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 10:54 am
In the heat of the moment, who knows?

But cold-bloodedly, like signing up to go to war or some such? Not a whole hell of a lot. No war the U.S. has fought since the '40s.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 11:06 am
My kids - please don't tell them.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 11:07 am
On the religious part of this question, I try to put myself in God's shoes.

What if some fanatics threatened to kill my children unless they said I didn't exist? I would expect them to endure horrific torture and suffer brutal deaths rather than speak against my being.

I don't imagine God is any different.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 11:10 am
Quote:
What if some fanatics threatened to kill my children unless they said I didn't exist? I would expect them to endure horrific torture and suffer brutal deaths rather than speak against my being.

Not me. They can denounce me all they want, so long as they're alive and well.
0 Replies