Les Triplettes de Belleville

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 11:39 am
While taking a break from watching the Tour de France, we borrowed this brilliant animated film to take a look at. It does, of course, revolve around the Tour, but it is a very surreal and highly entertaining flick. One thing I really liked was that it relied on clever, conventional animation, not a lot of CGI. It gave the whole thing a very classic feel. A must see, IMO, especially if you like movies where the effect of the fantastic is more important than where the story actually goes. Very engrossing.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,005 • Replies: 20
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 04:00 pm
Cute, eh?

Mind you - it made me sooooooooooo sad!!!!!!!

And - all those poor little frogses!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 05:08 pm
We shall not forget the frogses ever. Also, I can't get that theme song out of my head!
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 05:10 pm
I just watched this movie last weekend. I adored it, of course. We, unfortunately, decided not to watch with english subtitles. Was the dialogue important (I'd heard it wasn't)?
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 05:48 pm
There is hardly any dialogue. The subtitles are just annoying.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 06:00 pm
Just checking.
0 Replies

caramel

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 06:06 pm
Re: Les Triplettes de Belleville
cavfancier wrote:
While taking a break from watching the Tour de France, we borrowed this brilliant animated film to take a look at. It does, of course, revolve around the Tour, but it is a very surreal and highly entertaining flick. One thing I really liked was that it relied on clever, conventional animation, not a lot of CGI. It gave the whole thing a very classic feel. A must see, IMO, especially if you like movies where the effect of the fantastic is more important than where the story actually goes. Very engrossing.

Just love this movie and the soundtrack is brillant! Got the DVD and the CD.

Cool
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 06:15 pm
I think they are on our list now, caramel. We watched it on DVD, but I think we now need to own both the movie and the soundtrack.
0 Replies

caramel

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 06:22 pm
cavfancier wrote:
I think they are on our list now, caramel. We watched it on DVD, but I think we now need to own both the movie and the soundtrack.

Did you know that this was a co-production France-Québec?

The director/writer Sylvain Chomet began his career here in Montréal (he lived 10 years here) and there are a few references to Montréal in the movie.

Benoit Charest who wrote the brillant music is from Montréal.

Cool
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 06:24 pm
caramel wrote:
cavfancier wrote:

Did you know that this was a co-production France-Québec?

The director/writer Sylvain Chomet began his career here in Montréal (he lived 10 years here) and there are a few references to Montréal in the movie.

Benoit Charest who wrote the brillant music is from Montréal.

Cool

Yes! I did know this. I went to university in Montreal, and caught the references. :wink:
0 Replies

caramel

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 06:28 pm
cavfancier wrote:
Yes! I did know this. I went to university in Montreal, and caught the references. :wink:

That's why you're a poutine expert! Laughing

Cool
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 07:15 pm
Poutine and Souvlaki expert. Even the best French restaurants are owned by Greeks in Montreal. Laughing Brochettes for all!!
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 07:15 pm
I kid of course, but it is indeed a strange thing there.
0 Replies

BaileyStapleton

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 08:35 pm
I really loved this movie (I still love it). It's practically a silent picture, with only music. I'll admit, the city people were... strange (I loved in the beginning with the tiny husband stuck (dead) in his wife's arse). The music is dazzling, the plot is exciting, the characters are brilliant, each one becoming a cartoon of themselves. I liked how the grandmother never aged. I loved all the little details (the grandmother's legs, the son's table-seat, etc). Most of all, I loved how surreal it was.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 09:08 pm
great. just watched it sunday, matter-of-fact. beeyooteefull. watched with someone on the room who felt the need to say every few minutes, "what a weird movie," but still good. loved the dog, naturally -- and especially his dreams. great stuff.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 07:03 pm
oh, that was a cute little film!

and wonderfully drawn, really beautiful, such a style of its own.

thanks for reminding me - sbeen a while !
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 06:57 am
Just had the DVD delivered.

I'll be back when I've watched it.

KP
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Fri 9 Jul, 2004 09:13 am
Rented it at NetFlix and we saw it last night. It has to be placed in the top ten of all animation films. Although executed in a style reminiscent of the earliest cartoons the shading was done with computer animation. It was unobtrusive and enhanced the imagery. I don't know if I will ever be able to face a plate of frog legs again, dlowan.

The music video on the DVD is even more surreal. I do think I will purchase this one.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 04:18 pm
Finally watched this last night, with Setanta and mrs. hamburger and the dogs.

Wow.

Really enjoyed the director's discussion of taking the perfection out of the newer technologies to make it more like an 'old-time' animation.
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Mon 4 Sep, 2006 05:31 pm
Some Triplettes videos on YouTube:

Featuring Django Reinhardt and Josephine Baker..

The music video from the soundtrack of "Les triplettes de Belleville", Song written by M (Mathieu Chedid)

(coincidence - a blog I read posted these two just last Friday)
0 Replies