High school debate topic

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 12:52 am
What do you think is the most common high school debate topic?

What was your favorite high school debate topic?

What high school debate topic do you recommend?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,929 • Replies: 10
No top replies

fortune

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 08:54 am
Highschool? Man! At my highschool it was always current affairs. You know, some politician did something, do you think it's right? For and Against?

Dull as dirt!!!

More often than not, there wasn't even any thing good in the news so we ended up arguing about crap like 'is the new building proposal down the road going to impair our view of the park' (not that I actually remember ever debating that topic, but then I have a mental block regarding anything those jackasses tried to make me say. Besides, it sounds like a topic our teacher would have picked).

In my opinion, if you want a really good highschool debate, pick a philosopher. The best debates I ever had were after classes ended and we sat around at lunch time discussing the stuff our teacher thought we were too ignorant to understand. So just find a good piece of literature, get the gist of what the old dead guy was trying to say, and then argue it out amongst yourselves.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 10:24 am
definitely religion
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 10:31 am
I don't know, stuh505, have you seen the "Love is all you need" thread lately? Absolute shambles!

(Granted, it was largely my fault......)
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 10:49 am
Religion is a great debate topic, provided you have someone bringing in breakfast, lunch and dinner....for the next 25 years or more.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 10:55 am
im not saying religion is a good or bad topic...I was just answering the question, I think that is it the most debated high school topic.

why do i think this?

because at this time in life many people are searching to find their place in life, they want to understand why they are here...

it is natural to debate every topic, but religion becomes a less appealing topic as one grows older because you begin to realize that it is one of the most pointless topics to debate, because on no other topic will people be so stubborn and close minded

high schoolers have not figured this out yet, so its prime time to debate...after a whle they'll get sick of not convincing anyone
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 11:06 am
cavfancier: LOL. Too true!

stuh505: I'd have to say I agree here too!
0 Replies

teach me to debate

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 10:28 pm
Thank you!
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 02:02 pm
I just finished highschool. The most discussed topics were: (1) the price of the croquette rolls; see this site to understand what a 'kroket'/croquette and what a 'frikandel' are; (2) The war in Iraq (or: Bush is stupid); (3) How long it would take before the new teacher would quit with his/her job; (4) Whether one of my best friends really loved his girlfriend, or only her piano.

Religion isn't really a hot topic at Dutch schools - except Islam that is. We just can't stop talking about Islam it seems.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 02:56 pm
Rick d'Israeli: So that's what a "frikandel" is. I'd heard the word mentioned in a recording of "Der Vetter aus Dingsda," but I could only ascertain that it was some sort of foodstuff.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 03:07 pm
The website says 'frikadel' by the way. Hmmm. I really thought it was 'frikandel'. Anyway, joe: frikadel with onion, mayonnaise and ketchup - D-E-L-I-C-I-O-U-S! I'm getting hungry already! I do have to say that frikadel is 28% beef (predominantely udder, according to the website) and 46% 'kinnebak' - the cheeks of pigs. But it's still delicious! (NB: 'kroket' contains 10% horsemeat. But kroket too is just delicious!)
0 Replies