Help! My computer not liscensed?!?!?!

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 09:43 pm
Here is a question for all you computer gurus! Very Happy

My office computer (from a home based business) died and we don't have the money to replace it right now. So I loaded the software onto my home computer (gateway) so that I could continue to keep up with the bookkeeping and office work.

When I tried to open MicroSoft Access to transfer the database over to this computer it told me that this machine is not liscensed to use that software. It lets me use all the other software but Access....what's the deal?!?!?!?

Can anyone help?!?!?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,268 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 10:29 pm
The deal is that what you are trying to do is a violation of the laws in nearly every single country in the world.

To "help" you violate these laws would be a blatant violation of a particularly strict law called the Digital Millenium Copyright Act.

So your request is to ask this site to host something illegal and to ask people to break the law while helping you to break the law.

Please don't do this. Those DMCA lawyers are means SOBs.

The DMCA means merely telling you how to violate the copyrights is illegal.
0 Replies

imdtckdkr

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 10:56 pm
I'm sorry. I guess I thought that since the other computer had died and I wasn't using the software on that computer I could use it on an alternative computer.

I guess that is incorrect?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 11:15 pm
Have you tried registering the the program with ms? If you can't do that, maybe you could contact them with the problem, though finding out how you go about contacting them might be a bit time consuming.
0 Replies

Nirvana

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 11:17 pm
Unfortunately so. When you buy software from Micro$oft with your hard earned money, guess what? It doesn't belong to you! It still belongs to Billy boy. Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 12:13 am
...Which is the norm for commercial software, of course (licensing, as opposed to actually transferring ownership).

Imdtckdkr, Microsoft's free Access snapshot viewer won't suffice for your needs, right? ( http://office.microsoft.com/assistance/preview.aspx?AssetID=HA010449811033 )
0 Replies

imdtckdkr

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 09:00 am
Monger,
Thanks for the link. It helps to at least be able to view our database but I need to be able to add new customers as well.

I guess I'll just have to be behind until we get the money to fix the office computer. Because I definately don't want to do something that would cause me to get in trouble. Don't need to be dealing with that as well!!! LOL
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 10:48 am
imdtckdkr wrote:
Monger,
Thanks for the link. It helps to at least be able to view our database

You're welcome. Smile

Quote:
but I need to be able to add new customers as well.

I guess I'll just have to be behind until we get the money to fix the office computer. Because I definately don't want to do something that would cause me to get in trouble. Don't need to be dealing with that as well!!! LOL

Smart move.
0 Replies

VirginiaBeachTOM

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 02:06 pm
GET GOTOMYPC SOFTWARE
go to GOTOMYPC.COM and sign up-thats the cheapest thing to do to acess company files from home.......thats my suggestion-good luck.......... Cool
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Wed 14 Jul, 2004 03:25 pm
If you're going to go with a remote access solution (which takes control of another computer), GoToMyPC with their recurring $20 monthly charge is one of the more expensive options.....by no means the cheapest.

Windows XP Pro has remote access software already built in.

Other good options include Famatech's Remote Administrator - www.radmin.com - which costs $35 (for the price, you'd be hard-pressed to find a more secure remote-access program), and Symantec's pcAnywhere - www.symantec.com/pcanywhere/Consumer - which goes for $200.

If you're doing remote access within a LAN, VNC - www.realvnc.com - is excellent, by far the most widely used, & best of all free.
0 Replies

jpowell

Reply Sun 18 Jul, 2004 03:34 am
I have not used it for working with access files but you might want to try http://www.openoffice.org/ to see if that will allow you to work with your database.

You might also want to look into switching to mysql for your database. As long as your work computer has a constant internet connection it's easy to write a front-end to the database with PHP so you can access and edit your database from any web browser. And best of all it is free.

http://www.kitebird.com/articles/access-migrate.html

If I lived near you I would do it for a twelve pack. Since I don't you might look into putting up a few ads at any colleges near you. It would take less then a day if you know what you are doing. You might be able to get it done for fifty bucks. Just a thought..
0 Replies