US troops training Iraqi Olympic Swim Team

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 07:25 pm
...not too successfully.

Quote:
Three American soldiers face manslaughter charges in the drowning of an Iraqi detainee who was forced to jump off a bridge north of Baghdad in January, the Army announced today.

A fourth soldier was charged with assault, after officials said he ordered a second Iraqi detainee to jump off the bridge over the Tigris River in Samarra. That man survived.

All four soldiers were also charged with trying to cover up the incident.
According to Army officials here, the Fourth Division soldiers were part of a patrol that detained two Iraqi men for a late-night curfew violation on Jan. 3, then ordered them to jump the bridge. One man died, but the other swam ashore.

Source
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 676 • Replies: 5
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 07:48 pm
They got killed for being out too late??? Even my mother wasn't that strict! :wink:
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 07:51 pm
Re: US troops training Iraqi Olympic Swim Team
Mr Stillwater wrote:
...not too successfully.

Quote:

According to Army officials here, the Fourth Division soldiers were part of a patrol that detained two Iraqi men for a late-night curfew violation on Jan. 3, then ordered them to jump the bridge.

Source
0 Replies

nimh

Reply Fri 2 Jul, 2004 07:55 pm
Lord that thread title sure threw me ....
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 08:51 am
At least those four misguided swimming coaches realized that their actions could be misinterpreted and refrained from snapping trophy pictures.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 02:05 am
nimh wrote:
Lord that thread title sure threw me ....

Unless they were a Presidentially nominated 'bad egg' one can only assume that they were actively showing those Iraqis the advantages of living in a democracy.

I mean, like REALLY!! I'd call it MURDER, but I'm biased by the fact that people who kill others unnecessarily are murderers. I fully expect them to get a medal for ridding the world of 'terrorists'.
0 Replies