Polar ice advancing, global warming is dead

Walter Hinteler

Fri 5 Jun, 2015 11:54 pm
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
Walter was on board a ship,
Actually, I used this practice for a paper in history ("Navigational knowledge and instruments in the time of the conquistadores") Wink
0 Replies

farmerman

Sat 6 Jun, 2015 12:08 am
@Walter Hinteler,
we used sling psychrometers to measure temps, and relative humidity, and DEW point. That was important because we had corrections on our barometric tapes . We were using the old fashioned transducers for ground water depths and barometric pressures would screw up the readings and we could tell when (in really humid days) when a T storm would be possible by looking at dew points and changes in barometric pressures.
That was in the 1980's . Now everything is done with electronics and everything is self correcting.
We can keep fishing
Walter Hinteler

Sat 6 Jun, 2015 12:13 am
@farmerman,
farmerman wrote:
we used sling psychrometers to measure temps, and relative humidity, and DEW point.
That certainly was expected to be done be me as well. (The others had always a lot of fun when I did it. And there had been bets about loosing the barrel in the water when I measured the sea temperature. [But fixing the rope was the first we learnt at the academy.])
farmerman

Sat 6 Jun, 2015 12:28 am
@Walter Hinteler,
we were in several tropical environments so we had at least several sets of survey transits , baro-discs, psychrometers and many many transducers, (as well as drill bits that looked like Mideval torture devices).
0 Replies

farmerman

Sat 6 Jun, 2015 12:32 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I always wondered how many major expeditions would come up short on the science because they were busy pranging their instruments on ships overheads and railings?
0 Replies

Ionus

Sat 6 Jun, 2015 01:20 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
Youre just being purposely obtuse , admit it.
You and Walt have one thing in common, your posts are difficult to get info out of . You didnt read the post he was responding to did you ? Thats why you are looking obtuse . Here's the post for you two who seem to have forgotten : http://able2know.org/topic/280182-2#post-5966928
Walter Hinteler

Sat 6 Jun, 2015 02:31 am
@Ionus,
Quote:
http://i57.tinypic.com/znwhz4.jpg

Perhaps I should have done my response in two different posts and used "reply to all". But I'm glad that you know how the various nautical instruments work and vary.
Ionus

Sat 6 Jun, 2015 02:36 am
@Walter Hinteler,
I just dont get it . How does that affect accuracy ? I listed reasons why measuring was inaccurate and you and FM come back with "we use thermometers" . So what ? Where did I say a wet finger was used ? Look at the reasons I say it was inaccurate and a measuring device is not even mentioned .
farmerman

Sat 6 Jun, 2015 05:04 am
@Ionus,
Here we go with the Ionus incredulous dance.

When I joined , you posted something on the order of"how do you use a pychrometer to meaure temperature?"
All I said was, after you posted a Wiki post , in which a psychrometer was explained to you, "You answered it yourself"

Hg thermometers used in sling psychrometers were rather accurate to a 0.1 or the cheaper ones to 0.2 degrees (We had the 0.1 degree kind. They were mounted in metal slings where they could be read without touching. But nonetheless, they were thermometers, why are you having trouble with that? You feel that thermometers arent accurate enough?

Ionus

Sat 6 Jun, 2015 08:43 am
@farmerman,
Here is the original post . I think you are going senile . A life time of drinking, age, health problems, you are an ideal candidate .

Ship data is used for the oceans . It is incomplete . There is a voluntary project examining ships old log books to put the data in a bank on computers . Problem is sailing ships only measure the temp in weather . That is, a breeze . They also vary their route considerably .
Steam ships are more regular in their route but still suffer from piecemeal data . If you weren't a big trader than data for your part of the world wont be there . Similarly for land based data, if you are not a rich country then you probably weren't measuring temps every day since 1880 .

We only have the max and min temps for anywhere, and these have been averaged for GW enthusiasts data . The average is not a true reflection of the heat during a 24hr period . You must assume that the temp was equally in halfs above and below the average of the max and min . Quite an assumption .

Before it was absolutely essential to have one climate, the earth was considered to have many . We need to measure change, perhaps hourly, at many sites in all the earth's climates especially the oceans . We have only started to do that, in what is a 100,000 yr cycle . How do we eliminate outliers and determine trends if we have a very, very short time of measurement ?

Your response :
Quote:
But nonetheless, they were thermometers, why are you having trouble with that? You feel that thermometers arent accurate enough?

I feel sorry for you, but age or death gets us all . Sad
farmerman

Sat 6 Jun, 2015 09:00 am
@Ionus,
Quote:
Here is the original post . I think you are going senile . A life time of drinking, age, health problems, you are an ideal candidate

If you think I jump in and read your crap, you are mistaken. You poted about how you doubted that psychrometers could be used to tell temperatures. If Im senile, you are illiterate. I thought my response was concise an precise.

Why dont you carry on with Frank, you guys seem to make habits of misrepresenting other folks .

BTW your knowledge of much of scientific instrumentation is kinda lacking (Youd have trouble answering"Am I smarter than a 5th grader")

but max/min recording thermometers were available for at least 125 years, maybe even more. Please look em up , Itll be eye opening that someone thought of putting little magnets that would "float" atop the mercury column and they did this before the year you sobered up. (Or has that year yet to be?)
Ionus

Sat 6 Jun, 2015 09:22 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
You poted about how you doubted that psychrometers could be used to tell temperatures.
Show me where ...that was your mistaken assumption right from the word go .

Why are you going on about thermometers ? Read the above post, you aging drunk...I NEVER MENTIONED THERMOMETERS OF ANY KIND . Now go sleep it off before you make a fool of yourself anymore than you already have ...unbelievable ! Rolling Eyes
farmerman

Sat 6 Jun, 2015 09:26 am
@Ionus,
douche bag says what?
0 Replies

farmerman

Sat 6 Jun, 2015 09:44 am
@Ionus,
Quote:
.I NEVER MENTIONED THERMOMETERS OF ANY KIND

I know, thats why I told you that a Pychrometer IS A series of 2 thermometers.

I really expect less and less intelligence from you as your posts mount
up.
Walter Hinteler

Sat 6 Jun, 2015 09:52 am
@farmerman,
The other day, his excuse was the late time and the cold weather. Before, it was just the late time ...
farmerman

Sat 6 Jun, 2015 09:56 am
@Walter Hinteler,
He lies a lot, ever notice?
Walter Hinteler

Sat 6 Jun, 2015 10:35 am
@farmerman,
I don't know. I have noticed, however, that he can't accept to have been wrong.
Walter Hinteler

Sat 6 Jun, 2015 11:26 am
@Walter Hinteler,
While looking through various books, I found that the Reverend Dr. Stephen Hales, a botanist (!), already invented in the 1720's a special thermometer for measuring the water temperature.
Such an instrument was used later commonly - at least so at the time of Cook's second voyage. (See: J.R. Forster, Observations Made During a Voyage Round the World, on Physical Geography, Natural History, and Ethic Philosophy, London, 1778)
International recommendations for SST (Sea Surface Temperature)measurement were first established at the Brussels Maritime Conference of 1853. (Source: J. B. R. Matthews, Comparing historical and modern methods of sea surface temperature measurement – Part 1: Review of methods, field comparisons and dataset adjustments, 2013 [in Ocean Science, 9, 683–694, 2013])
gungasnake

Sat 6 Jun, 2015 05:38 pm
http://www.truthandaction.org/telegraph-global-warming-biggest-science-scandal-time/
0 Replies

gungasnake

Sat 6 Jun, 2015 05:43 pm
http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/climate-change-greenland-global-warming/2015/06/05/id/649099/
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 03:11:18