Networking and ".vxd" files

sumac

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2003 10:19 am
Well, I have been told that it is a networking issue.

I have spent the past month having computer problems. First were all of the crashes, and all involving .vxd files. But I could recover. Then all of a sudden I couldn't recover. I couldn't finish a normal mode Windows boot. If memory serves me, there were no error messages. It would just be trying to boot from IDE-0, then a black screen. I could boot up in safe mode, but what then?

I pulled off my machine everything unnecessary, including and specifically AOL and my Norton SystemsWorks Professional Edition 2002, and came back with my startup disk. Can't remember what happened then but I ended up reinstalling from disk the Windows 98. Not done yet. As soon as I tried to boot up in normal mode, the same thing would happen.

I called AOL and asked what gives. I had installed AOL on Nov. 15th. They said that it was a Microsoft issue. I got to Microsoft and three lovely technicians spent a total of 7 hours, with me navigating without a mouse, looking at the error messages I was seeing at various points, and bringing my Windows back. Since I had carefully written down the exact language of the error messages when the system crashed, we knew that consistently, .vxd files, or virtual drivers, were involved. By removing them from the Registry I was able to function in Windows. They also suggested that it appeared there might be a hardware issue underlying the problem as at times different error messages on the same setting were occurring.

So I bring my CPU and monitor into the place that put my computer together to have them run tests on the hard drive. It was put in this past August and they claimed that it tested out just fine. I go home, fire off two quick emails, and then get sick. When I come back, I spend some time on it and shut it down in the normal manner. Later that evening I try to get back but can't boot up Windows. Same scenario as before.

And, some of the files I had deleted from Add/Remove Programs were back and things were rechecked under Startup after running msconfig that we had unchecked previously. My technician insists that he did not use regedit to turn it back, but had reinstalled stuff, but he could not have reinstalled all of it as some of the programs required the disk at home, and some had been downloaded from the internet.

Sound. Minor issue so I didn't even know that I had no sound until yesterday. Multimedia as a category is gone from Device Manager. I can not locate crucial audio files/programs.

I call my technician yesterday and he insists that .vxd files are used for networking applications. I am not on a network. AOL has networking needs and requires some .vxd files, which they will redownload if you remove them.

Anybody?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,140 • Replies: 12
No top replies

fishin

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2003 11:39 am
The techinician may very well not have edited the registry. When Windows starts up it runs a check and tries to detect all the hardware on your PC (as you probably know..). When you add hardwar you install drivers off of disks but once those have been installed many get "added' to the list of drivers Windows knows about and copied to your hard drive.

You used REGEDIT to remove the references in the Registry but when the system reboots it detects the hardware and since it still knows about the drivers it locates the copies on your hard drive and puts the references to them back into the registry itself. This is all a normal function of Microsoft's "plug and play" functionality.

But.. you mention you had some programs that you had deleted using "Add/Remove programs that are back so it sounds like your version of Windows may have "restored" to a prior saved configuration somehow. Yeash. When things get that complicated on my system I just reformat and start all over again from scratch.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2003 12:43 pm
So what is your answer, fishin'?
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2003 12:48 pm
When you look at your hardware properties in "My Computer" are any of your devices missing from the list and do any have an "X" indicating that they aren't functiong properly?
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2003 02:12 pm
No x's or ?'s under Device Manager. But no multimedia category either. I'll go take a look at the Hardware section.

The thing that has me befuddled is that it is much like that old Ogden Nash cartoon of Tamminy Hall politicians who are standing around pointing a finger at each other in a full circle.

In my case, I started with AOL. They said that it was a Microsoft problem. Microsoft said that it was a hardware problem. While only the hard drive was checked out (not all chips on motherboard or anything like that), my hardware guy is saying that it is a networking problem. And since the only thing on my system with downloaded software that has networking needs, that means back to AOL. Where I started.

Now, remember, all of this started to happen within a few weeks of my getting on AOL and downloading all their damn software.

I'll go check out Hardware. Not sure that I will be able to know what is missing and what is not as some of the stuff I have is integrated and I'm not all that sophisticated. Will report back.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2003 02:32 pm
I'm back. Nothing interesting under Hardware Profiles...just says "original configuration". Also, I eliminated virus issue as just submitted the drive to Trend Micro at antivirus.com and it came up clean.

When talking with Microsoft people I asked them if there were any known compatibility issues between my Norton SystemWorks Professional Edition 2002 and Windows 98. They said no.

For your information they did indicate that if you are running Windows ME you should not use the Clean Sweep portion of that package. I have yet to go to Symantec to ask them if they know of any issues between their product and AOL.

When queried yesterday, an AOL techie did say that there can be a conflict between AOL and the antivirus portion of Norton. But I have yet to reinstall the antivirus part of Norton and I crashed with .vxd involvement twice last night, but had no problems recovering. But all of these continuing crashes are making me very nervous
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2003 02:35 pm
Can you ID which vxd's have been coming up in the errors? Maybe that will lend some clues here.
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2003 11:47 pm
Not as far as I have been able to find out. I'm told by Microsoft that the addresses are variable - change each time and have no real meaning. For instance, this is the way it is stated:

Quote:
A fatal exception 00 has occured at 0028:FF02AB65 in VxD called from 0028:C000AB74 in VxD
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sat 11 Jan, 2003 03:39 pm
Still crashing, but can recover. Fatal exception error message gives location in VxD, called forth by location address in VxD. <sigh>
0 Replies

ALASKA DUDE

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2003 05:03 am
NEW TO CONVERSATION
whats up. I found the message board because I am also having an IDENTICAL PROBLEM. I have somewhat of a solution too. Im in the proccess of getting my computer restored from this problem. I think this is a "small" problem that microsoft didn't bother to fix seeing how they went to XP and don't give a crap about people still using 98 they are dropping support VERY SOON! anyways if you like to hear part of a solution then let me know. Also let me know if you are worried about losing files because i think i might have a way around that Wink
0 Replies

sumac

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2003 08:30 am
Thanks for your kind offer of assistance. As you can see from the date of my original posts, that was some time ago.

Microsoft already no longer supports Windows 98, and I solved my problem by going to Windows XP Professional. Have not experienced any crashes or error messages since then.

Welcome to a2k. We have several folk here who know quite a bit about computer issues, but it sounds like you do too. We need all the help we can get.
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Mon 10 Nov, 2003 12:59 am
You didn't try formatting the drive first and then not going anywhere near AOL ?

I know several people who have had no end of trouble with AOL.
The funny thing is that the friends who have AOL and know nothing about computers have no problems.
The only ones with problems are the ones who DO know something about computers and like to upgrade them and use them as nature intended.

So what does this tell you about AOL ?
0 Replies

j4fun2u

Reply Sat 27 Dec, 2003 11:35 am
I have same problem,after upgraded to AOL 9! Comp crashed couple of time.USB can't see modem or scanner ne more,but can see webcam!can't know how tio fix!
0 Replies