Computer keeps Freezing whenever I launch a big program...

Monger

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 02:27 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Your sig line is ironically funny.

Smile It does match this thread rather well.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
Disconnecting everything and blowing didn't help. I guess I need to buy another Keyboard

You may need to, however, I'd not go all out and get a fancy shcmancy one at this point. You still need to verify that replacing the keyboard solves your problem.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
and some heat dope.

Not necessarily. I'd said you should take a look at it & see if you need it (you'll wanna check that it's not too thick, mostly worn away, or missing altogether)...
Earlier, I wrote:
Remove the CPU fan & heatsink & check how the heat dope (sorry, thermal paste), if there's any there in the first place, is looking.

You could potentially make the problem worse if you don't apply the thermal paste properly. And your heatsink may have a thermal pad attached to the bottom of it in which case you might not need any.

If your CPU features a heat spreader (both the Pentium 4 & Athlon 64 do), which is a piece of metal on top of the CPU die (not the heatsink which is separate from the CPU), you'll generally need just a bb-sized dollop of paste in the center of the heat spreader, then the heatsink goes on top, then the fan.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
btw, the processor and it's fan were already attached when they sent me the bear-bones unit. I haven't looked at it yet, cause I figure I better get the dope first.

There should be 3 components, the CPU, heatsink & fan.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 03:03 pm
I just took a peak at it and the processor appears to be about 3" X 3" with a 3X3X1.25 louvered heatsink, behind a 3x3 fanÂ… with louvers folded accordion style perhaps .1" apart.

I just noticed something that strikes me as strange in the System Information:
Total Physical Memory- 256 MB
Available Physical Memory 49.50 MB
Total Virtual Memory 1.98 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.58 GB

Why is the "Available Physical Memory" so low? Is that odd?

Btw, it says this about processor, just in case it helps:
System Manufacturer- VIA Technologies, Inc.
System Model P4X266-8233
System Type- x86-bsed PC
Processor- X86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 4 GenuineIntel ~2200 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date- Award Software International, Inc. 6.00 PG, 10/12/2001
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 09:35 pm
OCCOM BILL wrote:
Why is the "Available Physical Memory" so low?

Because your OS & other running processes use it.

OCCOM BILL wrote:
Is that odd?

No.

Besides, 256 Megs is not a heck of a lot to start with. Idealy, it's the minimum you should have in a system running Windows XP.

If you want to free up some RAM, though, I recommend the freeware FreeRAM XP Pro.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 09:52 pm
Interesting program. now there is 157 MB available, and I believe I can tell. Perhaps, if the dope fix works and this thing gets to running normal again, I'll put some more Ram in here. I'm sure it's real cheap by now.
0 Replies