Jury Duty

pedronunezmd

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 09:37 am
I live in Florida. I'm 32 years old and I've never been called for jury duty. Many of my friends and family members, amny younger than me, have been called a dozen times. I can't wait to serve jury duty, I personally think I would enjoy it, so what's the deal? Anyone have any idea why this would happen?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 09:58 am
Re: Jury Duty
CerealKiller wrote:
What happens if you get a letter saying you have jury duty on a certain date but you don't show up ?

You will receive 2 letters, not 1. The first merely informs you of the fact, the second will tell you the location and directions on how to get there.

It's NOT a good idea NOT to inform the Court, if you aren't able to attend the session. You might try to change the date and/location.

Cool
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 10:01 am
pedronunezmd wrote:
I live in Florida. I'm 32 years old and I've never been called for jury duty. Many of my friends and family members, amny younger than me, have been called a dozen times. I can't wait to serve jury duty, I personally think I would enjoy it, so what's the deal? Anyone have any idea why this would happen?

If you're registered to vote and/or have a driver's license, you should be selected for jury duty.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 10:04 am
In the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, turnout for jury duty is so poor, that three times more individuals, as needed, are called up for duty.

A few years ago, I was on Jury duty in Massachusetts. THe trial lasted 4 days and ended on Christmas eve, with the jury HUNG!
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 10:06 am
CerealKiller wrote:
BillW wrote:
Quote:
Refusal or failure to appear for jury duty could result in fine, jail term or both, for contempt of court.

http://www.cityofsouthfield.com/46court/juryduty.php

I feel fairly certain this is similar in most jurisdictions.

Thanks Bill. That was the kind of answer I was looking for and sounds about right. My question was a hypothetical one, as I was curious about the potential punishment for failure to appear.

AND> it's part of permanent record, should anyone bother to ever check in the future...in for example, a job application.
0 Replies

pedronunezmd

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 10:17 am
Just a little while ago, Miller wrote:
If you're registered to vote and/or have a driver's license, you should be selected for jury duty.

That is exactly my point. I am both registered to vote and have a driver's license. Yet, unlike many people I know, I've never been selected...
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 03:04 pm
pedronunezmd: Just luck o' the draw, my friend. My mother seemed to get a jury summons every year or so, while my father got called for jury service maybe twice in thirty years. I've been called three times, but have never served on a jury (no one wants a lawyer on a jury).
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 03:56 pm
pedronunezmd wrote:
Just a little while ago, Miller wrote:

That is exactly my point. I am both registered to vote and have a driver's license. Yet, unlike many people I know, I've never been selected...

You might be in a category, that has a large membership. Thus, it's unlikely ( low probability ) you'll be selected. I still wonder, why they keep selecting me.
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 03:57 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
pedronunezmd: Just luck o' the draw, my friend. My mother seemed to get a jury summons every year or so, while my father got called for jury service maybe twice in thirty years. I've been called three times, but have never served on a jury (no one wants a lawyer on a jury).

How about a law student? Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 07:01 pm
Miller wrote:

I've never seen anyone younger than 25 get picked for a jury. In general, lawyers prefer middle-aged, middle-class individuals with jobs, not young college (or grad school) kids without jobs.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 3 Jul, 2004 07:52 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Miller wrote:

I've never seen anyone younger than 25 get picked for a jury. In general, lawyers prefer middle-aged, middle-class individuals with jobs, not young college (or grad school) kids without jobs.

Actually, when I was 20 I was called up for jury duty but I didn't serve because I no longer lived in that area.
0 Replies

kev

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 03:36 pm
Re: Jury Duty
CerealKiller wrote:
What happens if you get a letter saying you have jury duty on a certain date but you don't show up ?

When I got that letter I rang the court to explain that it was inconvenient and could I put it off for a while I was told, the piece of paper in your hand isn't an invitation to a dance it's a summons you don't turn up you'll be arrested, although in fairness they do try to be as reasonable as they can.

The problem is most people it seems just don't want to do it.
0 Replies

wingnut

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 08:59 pm
joefromchicago wrote:
Miller wrote:

I sat on a jury last year - I was a 26 year old second year law student. There was also a third year law student and a law professor on the 12 person jury. I was told that law students don't get picked for jury duty, but that would be WRONG! Half way through jury duty I figured out how to get out of it... flirt with the witness in the hallway. HAHA... judge knew I was a law student and should have known better, but if you had seen this chick you would understand. Shocked
0 Replies