Does your healthcare provider cover Euthanasia?

Noddy24

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 01:59 pm
The Hemlock Society is now the End Of Life something or other. The official reason for the change is wanting to sound more compassionate, but I suspect that those of us who accept Socrates as a role model are limited in number.

http://www.hemlock.org/index.jsp
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 02:03 pm
Noddy24 wrote:
The Hemlock Society is now the End Of Life something or other. The official reason for the change is wanting to sound more compassionate, but I suspect that those of us who accept Socrates as a role model are limited in number.

http://www.hemlock.org/index.jsp

everyday Cool
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 02:04 pm
June 29, 2004

Two right-to-die groups plan merger for 2005

The Associated Press

PORTLAND - Two leading groups in the right-to-die movement plan to merge under a new name.

The boards of the Oregon-based Compassion in Dying Federation and Denver-based End-of-Life Choices met this month in a Denver hotel to discuss budgets, fund raising, political strategy and other issues.

The leaders decided to continue negotiating a formal merger, which would likely happen in 2005, The Oregonian newspaper reported.

The working name for the merging group is Compassion and Choices.

End-of-Life Choices is the nation's oldest and largest organization in the right-to-die movement. Formerly known as the Hemlock Society, it was founded in 1980 by Derek Humphry, whose self-help guide to euthanasia, ``Final Exit,'' has sold more than a million copies worldwide.

Humphry resigned as executive director in 1992. The Hemlock Society name was dropped last year to broaden the group's political appeal. Hemlock is a poisonous herb; after Socrates was sentenced to death in ancient Greece, he was forced to drink a cup of hemlock.

The Oregon group has led the legal defense of the nation's only doctor-assisted suicide law, which has come under attack from the Bush administration. Under Oregon's Death With Dignity Act, a doctor can prescribe a lethal dose of medication for a terminally ill patient who requests it in writing and meets other requirements.

During the six-year history of the law, 171 Oregonians have died by doctor-assisted suicide. Officials of the two groups said a merger would benefit both.

``There's a huge overlap between the two groups, said Claire Simons, a spokeswoman for the Compassion in Dying Federation. ``We have very similar agendas.''

She said the merger would strengthen the right-to-die movement nationally and help bring Oregon's experience to the attention of other states.

``We're tired of being the sprouts-chewing liberals out in Oregon,'' she said. ``We need another state'' to legalize doctor-assisted suicide.

David Brand, executive director of End-of-Life Choices, said the merger is almost a sure thing.

http://www.registerguard.com/news/2004/06/29/c2.or.righttomerge.0629.html
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 02:06 pm
At the time that suicide was a possible option for me, I read, "Final Exit".

http://www.finalexit.org/

Learned a lot of good stuff, so that if the time had come, I would have known what to do.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 02:24 pm
We were talking about this at lunch today. Opposition says that, "if God wants to take them he will". Then plug in the ventilator. I say the same thing; but, don't plug in the ventilator - if it is their (and, I know it is my) desire.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 03:02 pm
colorbook wrote:
I'm with you kicky; we should be able to decide our own fate without religion or legalities.
I don't ever want to end up in a nursing home. If I ever find myself in a situation where I can no longer care for or feed myself, I hope that by then someone will intervene and help me end my life.

While I agree with the intended sentiment wholeheartedly I think the problem is best illustrated right here in this paragraph.

Someone intervening to help another end their life creates that fine line between murder and being "able to decide our own fate".

If someone else is involved then it is really they that make the final decision of your fate. Hence the need for legalities.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 03:17 pm
But fishin', Kevorkian never "mak(d)e the final decision of your fate" - he set it up and "you" pulled the handle. He was very careful in this....
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 03:32 pm
Methinks Kevorkian is an atypical situation. If euthenisia were legalized I doubt it would commonly be done in the back of a van. Wink He also carefully chose patients that were capable of pulling the handle. If that's all that is allowed than what happens to people who are comatose? Even if they had signed paperwork in advance they'd never be able to pull the lever, switch, etc..

I think we could do better than that.
0 Replies

BillW

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 03:37 pm
But, he only wanted trial proof cases. He was trying to create a movement that didn't get going well and then the trials went against him. He was before his time and I understand he would now like to get out. Don't blame him Exclamation
0 Replies