Keep your friends close and your enemies closer....

Letty

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 02:11 pm
Was I surprised to find out that this quote was attributed to Rick Roswell in response to the furor about David Duke, advocate of the Klan, wanting his say of the day.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,738 • Replies: 12
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 08:33 pm
Kind of hard in this day and age when many friends are half way around the world. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 08:46 pm
Letty- I always thought that the quotation was from some Mafia Don! Laughing
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 08:50 pm
heh..heh. True C.I. but you're the jet setter and the island hopper. Hop on over to Florida and we'll do lunch.

Oh, my Gawd. Sorry Phoenix. Embarrassed

Ahem. C.I. The pleasure of your company is requested for bologna sandwiches on Thursday next At the Ron Jon Surf Shop in Daytona Beach.
Please present your invitation at the door and
BYOB. Bring an enemy, if you like Laughing
0 Replies

williamhenry3

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 08:54 pm
Letty<

I love bologna sandwiches Exclamation
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 09:00 pm
From what I can gather, the quote was originally from Sun Tsu's "The Art of War", but has been quoted in many places, including Godfather II!

http://www.somedistantgalaxy.com/heroes/godfathers.htm
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 09:07 pm
Phoenix, Funny, Ricky Roswell doesn't look EYEtalian Razz Hmmmm. Look at that last name. The truth is out there, so keep watching the skies Shocked
After all, we are descended from and are clones of H.G. Welles.

WilliamHenry, Friend or foe, come on down with paws paws in a paper poke Cool
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 09:11 pm
Letty, I'll be at the Miami airport on May 17. Meet me there, and I'll treat YOU to lunch, or dinner, or breakfast! I'm not sure what time I'll be landing. Wink c.i.
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 09:16 pm
Roswell said the words but he didn't originate the quote.

From an article on the web:

"Rick Roswell, a graduate student and education major, feels that Duke should speak on campus.

"By not letting a bozo like David Duke speak, you're rolling over to his viewpoint. You want to know what they're up to," Roswell said. "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.""

This was in response to a planned speech David Duke was scheduled to give on Calif. State Univ - Northridge in the Fall of 1996.

The quote had previously been uttered by "Michael Corleone" in "The Godfather II" (which is were people get the mafia connection..) ("My father taught me many things here - he taught me in this room. He taught me - keep your friends close but your enemies closer.") but it's been around at least 100 years and I can't find an actual attribution other than "anonymous". There are even a few suggestions that it originated with Marc Anthoney..
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 09:27 pm
C.I. Miami, huh. Hey, since you are from California, how about Hollywood, Florida? :wink:

Phoenix, actually I attributed that quote to Mr. Roswell, because I knew that the Queen of search and destroy would come up with the right stuff.
The Art of War--oh, my. I think I'd rather sit and look at Mona Lisa. Crying or Very sad

Goodnight, neat people.
from somewhere on this planet
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 8 Jan, 2003 10:03 pm
Letty, The sad part is that Mona Lisa now sits behind glass...... ugh! c.i.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2003 12:40 pm
Hey,fishin. That's exactly what I found, but I was entirely too lazy last night (whenever) to run the gamut of research. Actually, I thought that the quote may have come from The Prince by Machievelli. Whoever said it, I have thought about it quite a bit, lately.
0 Replies

Letty

Reply Thu 9 Jan, 2003 12:41 pm
C.I. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies