Wireless Networking

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 08:52 am
Hello.

I have just begun considering adding wireless networking capabilities to my current wired network. However, I have a couple of questions that I would like to ask those of you who already have it.

1.) Right now, I have a Linksys Router and Hub running my network. These two devices, along with the cable modem, are located in the basement. Would I be able to put a wireless access point in the basement along with this equipment and still get good results? The reason I ask is that I live in a two-story house and would like to access the Internet from the second story and, maybe, even outside.

2.) This is probably going to be a bad question, but. . . what would be the standard to go with: A, B, or G? I know that wireless networking is expensive and I would like to get something that is going to give me good speeds (although nothing will be as good as wired Smile I was looking at the new 802.11g from D-Link: the XtremeG with 108Mbps.

3.) As I mentioned, I have a Linksys 4 port Router, Linksys 5 port Hub, and a Linksys cable modem. If I would want to add wireless capabilities to my already wired network, what would I need: a wireless bridge or router? Could I use the D-Link XtremeG equipment (would it be compatible with the Linksys equipment)?

As far what I would do on the wireless network, it would be surfing, instant messeging and maybe some gaming.

Thanks for any help/advice.
Robert2513
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 668 • Replies: 3
No top replies

fishin

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2004 06:03 pm
You could put your wireless router in the basement too but you'd probably get better coverage upstairs by putting it on the 1st floor near the center of the house. If you only use it at one end of the upstairs you could locate it towards that end and it would extend your range outside on that end of the house.

As for a the standard I'd suggest you just stay with 802.11g. It fully backward compatible with 802.11b and 802.11a isn't used much outside of Europe. I'd avoid any manufacter's "enhancements" to the basic standards. None of those enhancements are standaradized so you are likely to end up with something that will be unsupported in the future and regardless of the hype, if you can't get what you need done on 54MB/s link you aren't going to get it done on a 108 MP/s link either. (You are probably only using a internet connection that's at 3MB/s at best anyway. Wink )

If I were in your shoes I'd replace your existing router with a wireless router and be done with it. Daisy-chaining routers can get you into some weird problems.
0 Replies

Robert2513

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2004 06:14 pm
Thanks for the reply. Could I just add a wireless bridge? I hate to get rid of my router, I have grown attached to it. Laughing
0 Replies

fishin

Reply Sun 27 Jun, 2004 06:25 pm
I don't think you want a bridge unless you are planning on moving the entire switch you have upstairs. A bridge would be used to create a wireless connection between two routers/switches. From what you'd written I guessed you want to connect a PC. You can hang a wireless router off of your existing setup but you'll need to be careful with your DHCP setup. You could get a Wireless Access Point but it'll probably run the same cost as a router. (Think of the access point as just being a wireless switch.)
0 Replies