British Muslim Police Officers

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 07:43 am
Can anyone help me here for a book my Dad is writing.
How many Muslim police officers are there in the British police force?
Google doesn't know.
Many thanks.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,134 • Replies: 5
No top replies

NickFun

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 08:24 am
The only way to find this out would be to contact Scotland Yard but I don't know if even they keep figures on the religious preferences of their officers. Check out http://www.met.police.uk/
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 12:22 pm
Re: British Muslim Police Officers
brimstone wrote:
Can anyone help me here for a book my Dad is writing.

That's very nice of you, helping your father and doing the recherches for his book!

brimstone wrote:

How many Muslim police officers are there in the British police force?

Since you live in the UK yourself, you (and your father) certainly know that there isn't any "British police force" at all but that there are more than 50 police forces in the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, mainly organised on a local basis, the British Transport Police, the UK Atomic Energy Constabulary, the York Minster Police, the Royal Parks Constabulary and the Royal Military Police being the police forces having a nationwide organisation.

So, I suggest, you address your request to the corresponding Chief Constables (resp. Commisoner).

Another possibilty would be, to ask the Association of Muslim Police, if they have and will provide these numbers.

I have sincere doubts, however, that you could get such data (or for Anglican, Lutheran, Epistocal, Roman Catholic etc policeofficers as well).

They certainly will have to watch e.g. "Statutory Instrument 2003 No. 1660
The Employment Equality (Religion or Belief) Regulations 2003". (The extent of a right to privacy in the U.K. and its weight in relation to competing values is unclear. Current laws protect some aspects of privacy but disregard others.)
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 12:31 pm
NickFun wrote:
The only way to find this out would be to contact Scotland Yard but I don't know if even they keep figures on the religious preferences of their officers. Check out http://www.met.police.uk/

The Metropolitan Police AND the City of London Police are the two police forces (besides the 32 local ones in the London boroughs) of London. :wink:

I even doubt that they have a right to ask the religion of their officers.
0 Replies

brimstone

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 02:14 pm
Sorry, I meant the Metropolitan Police, not local areas.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 02:25 pm
The Metropolitan Police is qua definitione local as well:
Quote:
The Metropolitan Police Service is famed around the world and has a unique place in the history of policing. It is by far the largest of the police services that operate in Greater London. (The others include the City of London Police, the British Transport Police.) The Royal Parks Constabulary have now become part of the Metropolitan Police Service.
Source:
About the Metropolitan Police

(Perhaps you should ask your father again about the correct theme of his book? :wink: )
0 Replies