Terrorism = Islam? Sadly Seems So

dlowan

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 04:42 pm
Kill all the Lusatians?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 04:44 pm
"Identify and go kill them" is ludicrous. This plays right into the hands of those who want to wage holy war on Muslims; and, it plays right into the hands of Terrorist recruiters. So long as the United States is seen as supporting a Jewish attempt at genocide against the Palestinian Muslims, so long as we are seen as supporting repressive regimes such as that of Mubarik in Egypt, those recruiters will have no problem find willing suicide bombers. But every society has such a lunatic fringe. We have people like Ted Koszinski or Eric Rudolph, but they remain a fringe because, basically, everyone in the country has it good, or at least has a sufficiency. But if you live in a slum in Cairo, or in the Gaza strip, and it seems that the U.S. props up regimes that kill your people, how much easier for an otherwise reasonable individual to be lead by desparation to an insane act. People set off bombs in public places in Israel because Israeli "defense" forces, flying American aircraft, using American missles and subsidized by the U.S., attacked crowded slums. You can argue endlessly about who did what to whom first, but the plain truth is that we have never put any pressure on Israel to make an accomdation, and we continue to provide them financial and military aid.

Take away the causus belli and give the Muslim world time for the upheavals which will lead to something like social and economic justice for the populations, and the terrorists there will dwindle into the insignificant fringe that they represent among western populations. Go over there with an "identify and kill them first" attitude, and you just stoke the fires. This truly is a witless stand to take, and just reinforces extremist propaganda about new christian crusades. Go buy a vowell.
0 Replies

Acquiunk

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 04:50 pm
What about the on going terrorism in South America? People have been living with that for over fifty years but as it does not affect Americans we ignore it. I doubt that there is an accurate count of the incidents for the past decade, let alone the last five decades for that continent.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 04:54 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:
Nothing is impossible. But I do not think killing millions of Americans is probable.

You and I have very very different opinions about the threat that WMDs pose. You rate them as a far higher threat than do I and estimate the casusalties at a rate I consider apocalyptic.

WMDs have been used, and have been used by militaries that have had optimal conditions for building them.

They have been used in situations with no restraining authority.

And they have never killed millions in an attack.

While possible, I think WMD attacks by terrorists would likely be on a scale more similar to 9/11.

But this is a dead-end "what if" difference and the only way to find out who's right isn't too attractive.

In 1970, the odds of a terrorist obtaining a WMD were essentially zero. Only a very small number of large, well organized countries possessed them then. As time and technology have marched on, more and smaller countries have obtained them. The news indicates that Iran may be next. The number of countries that have nuclear weapons and other forms of WMD can be expected to continue to increase, and as this happens, the chance of terrorists obtaining them increases. As technology marches forward, weaker and less sophisticated groups have a better chance of obtaining very deadly weapons. I've heard that at one time, the machining of aluminum was so difficult that kings wore crowns made of it. Even if terrorists do not have the capacity to start a major plague or set off a powerful nuke in the West today, they probably will in 5 years, or 10, or 15.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 04:57 pm
I don't doubt that the odds of terrorists obtaining WMD will increase.

I just think that their use of them will not result in the casualty counts you speak of.

Terrorists have already used WMDs in attacks against civilians BTW.

Right now it would probably have to be nukes to cause the deaths you speak of, and personally I think a more realistic nuke scenario would be similar to the ones in sum of all fears than to the millions number.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 04:59 pm
Aluminum was expensive because, although the commonest metal on earth, it is rarely found concentrated, and when it is, as bauxite, it was extremely expensive to smelt. A college boy in Ohio, working in a backyard lab, determined that it could be done with lots of high-voltage electricity, and when Tezla's asynchronous bi-phase generators were installed at a new power plant at Niagara Falls, the Ohio boy went to Buffalo and made a fortune, and made aluminum affordable.

Which means that there are solutions to all types of problems when enough people find them, and the solutions are not usually obvious. Going over there to "identify and kill" the enemy is a simple-minded recipe for disaster. If small nukes become feasible for fringe groups in five, ten or fifteen years, you're in as much danger from the Eric Rudolphs of this world as you are from Osama, and the Eric Rudolphs of this world live across the street from you.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 05:01 pm
Setanta wrote:
"Identify and go kill them" is ludicrous. This plays right into the hands of those who want to wage holy war on Muslims; and, it plays right into the hands of Terrorist recruiters. So long as the United States is seen as supporting a Jewish attempt at genocide against the Palestinian Muslims, so long as we are seen as supporting repressive regimes such as that of Mubarik in Egypt, those recruiters will have no problem find willing suicide bombers. But every society has such a lunatic fringe. We have people like Ted Koszinski or Eric Rudolph, but they remain a fringe because, basically, everyone in the country has it good, or at least has a sufficiency. But if you live in a slum in Cairo, or in the Gaza strip, and it seems that the U.S. props up regimes that kill your people, how much easier for an otherwise reasonable individual to be lead by desparation to an insane act. People set off bombs in public places in Israel because Israeli "defense" forces, flying American aircraft, using American missles and subsidized by the U.S., attacked crowded slums. You can argue endlessly about who did what to whom first, but the plain truth is that we have never put any pressure on Israel to make an accomdation, and we continue to provide them financial and military aid.

Take away the causus belli and give the Muslim world time for the upheavals which will lead to something like social and economic justice for the populations, and the terrorists there will dwindle into the insignificant fringe that they represent among western populations. Go over there with an "identify and kill them first" attitude, and you just stoke the fires. This truly is a witless stand to take, and just reinforces extremist propaganda about new christian crusades. Go buy a vowell.

With the technologies that exist in the world today, we can't just ignore organizations that are right now actively planning to kill us, or wait for some future utopia to solve the problem. The reason why we can't is that there actually are ways that they could hurt us very, very badly. Do you believe that if Al Qaeda could manage to start a plague in America or the UK they would refrain from doing so? Since we cannot defend every conceivable target 24 x 7, a purely defensive approach is not possible.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 05:07 pm
So you just go over there and kill 'em all, huh? And let "God" sort 'em out? Like i said--it's witless. How do you id the jokers? Look, Chuck, there goes some a them terrorists now, them towel-heads over there, shoot 'em, shoot 'em ! ! ! . This sort of drivel is simplistic, and, as i've said more than once now, a recipe for disaster. Of course, it has a great appeal for those who don't want to do anything difficult, such as determine and eliminate the origins of the hatred expressed toward us.

And, as i've pointed out, you can count on home-grown nut cases to be just as dangerous if they get WoMD's. I'm glad you're living in fantasy land, because if you were a decision maker in the real world, we'd be up the famous fecal creek, and no paddle in sight.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 05:07 pm
Setanta wrote:
Aluminum was expensive because, although the commonest metal on earth, it is rarely found concentrated, and when it is, as bauxite, it was extremely expensive to smelt. A college boy in Ohio, working in a backyard lab, determined that it could be done with lots of high-voltage electricity, and when Tezla's asynchronous bi-phase generators were installed at a new power plant at Niagara Falls, the Ohio boy went to Buffalo and made a fortune, and made aluminum affordable.

Which means that there are solutions to all types of problems when enough people find them, and the solutions are not usually obvious. Going over there to "identify and kill" the enemy is a simple-minded recipe for disaster. If small nukes become feasible for fringe groups in five, ten or fifteen years, you're in as much danger from the Eric Rudolphs of this world as you are from Osama, and the Eric Rudolphs of this world live across the street from you.

My point was just that things which are at one time very difficult to do because the technology isn't quite up to it, eventually become easy. And apart from the technology issue, as the number of countries possessing WMD grows, that also makes it easier for terrorists to obtain them.

Your analysis of the future danger from American fringe groups is correct. But rabid, amoral, enemies of western culture are pretty likely future users of WMD too.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 05:10 pm
Setanta wrote:
So you just go over there and kill 'em all, huh? And let "God" sort 'em out? Like i said--it's witless. How do you id the jokers? Look, Chuck, there goes some a them terrorists now, them towel-heads over there, shoot 'em, shoot 'em ! ! ! . This sort of drivel is simplistic, and, as i've said more than once now, a recipe for disaster. Of course, it has a great appeal for those who don't want to do anything difficult, such as determine and eliminate the origins of the hatred expressed toward us.

And, as i've pointed out, you can count on home-grown nut cases to be just as dangerous if they get WoMD's. I'm glad you're living in fantasy land, because if you were a decision maker in the real world, we'd be up the famous fecal creek, and no paddle in sight.

I never said "kill 'em all and let God sort 'em out," so putting those words in my mouth is not very fair. I said to identify organizations that are currently plotting to kill us and go neutralize them before they can. Waiting until they get here is not likely to lead to a good result.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 05:11 pm
Rabid, "amoral" (god, you fracture me!) enemies of anyone or anything are likely users of whatever means are available to them to kill those they percieve as the enemy. Which includes idiotic appeals to cultural or moral superiority over members of an alien religion.

Chuck, Chuck ! ! ! Look, millions a them towel-heads, git me a tactical nuke ! ! !
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 05:16 pm
Setanta wrote:
Rabid, "amoral" (god, you fracture me!) enemies of anyone or anything are likely users of whatever means are available to them to kill those they percieve as the enemy. Which includes idiotic appeals to cultural or moral superiority over members of an alien religion.

Chuck, Chuck ! ! ! Look, millions a them towel-heads, git me a tactical nuke ! ! !

I believe that "rabid" and "amoral" are reasonable descriptions of people who kidnap planes and fly them into building, set off bombs in public places, or kidnap civilians and saw their heads off while they are alive.

Once again, you are implicitly accusing me of advocating indiscriminate violence against people merely for being of some ethnicity, and I am not. I am advocating targetted attacks against organizations which actually are plotting lethal attacks against us.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 05:22 pm
How about we let Lusatian make his own arguement?
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 05:24 pm
Lusatian said: "And what about those Hindu suicide bombers?"

Hmmm - Hindu extremist Nathuram Godse murdered Mahatma Gandhi - Sikhs killed Indira Gandhi, and Tamils, who appear, at last when members of the LTTE, to have adopted a hybrid religion, with Judaeo-Christian elements, killed Rajev Gandhi.

An account of Hindu extremism, including violence and murder, used as weapons of terror:

http://www.freedomhouse
org/religion/publications/India/summary.htm

(To be fair, partly in response to Islamic outrages)

American sponsored terror:

http://www.mtholyoke.edu/acad/intrel/ciachile.htm

WASHINGTON -- From 1970 to 1973, the United States sought to overthrow the government of Chile and its democratically elected president, Dr. Salvador Allende, whom it deemed a Marxist threat to U.S. interests. Under orders from President Richard M. Nixon, the CIA mounted a full-tilt covert operation to keep Allende from taking office and, when that failed, undertook subtler efforts to undermine him. Those efforts "never really ended," the CIA's director of operations at the time, Thomas Karamessines, later told Senate investigators. "

It is estimated that 3,000 to 4,000 died.

Alleged CIA death squads: http://www.serendipity.li/cia/death_squads.htm

But, as Craven says, prolly ain't worth the arguing...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 06:36 pm
McGentrix wrote:
How about we let Lusatian make his own arguement?

I'd be happy to let him do so and nobody is stopping him. But he tends not to make an argument on A2K so much as issue self-fulfilling prophecies that people will find his positions absurd.

So I doubt he'll make the genocide case, but I doubt he will deny that he advocates genocide of Arabs either.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 06:59 pm
The words "full of ****" just start to begin to descrbe L's argument. The largest population of muslims in the world is in Indonesia. They aren't 'Arabs' and they aren't cutting the heads of Americans. Take you prejudical, ignorant rants and shove them!
0 Replies

Lusatian

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 01:26 am
Brandon9000 wrote:
In principle, one could determine which groups are responsible for the most acts of terrorism by simply tabulating a lot of high profile terrorist events and who they were committed by. Presumably, if you had groups A, B, and C, you might end up with

A: 12 acts
B: 15 acts
C: 11 acts

Perhaps if this were done, some group would be disproportionately represented. Perhaps not. However, I recommend that you define your terms first. Here is what I think you should resolve prior to such a count:

1. Only count events within the past 30 years. After all, the idea is to see if any group is responsible for more than its share, not if any group used to be.
2. Terrorism is defined as the deliberate targetting of civilians, as opposed to soldiers, or high ranking members of a government. Aiming at soldiers, and trying to minimize civilian casualties, but inadvertantly getting them sometimes does not count.
3. Only surprise attacks in which the perpetrator suddenly assumes control should be counted. If you talk about abusing prisoners, that seems to me to be more like oppression than terrorism.

Now, since the people doing the counting determine which terrorist events get counted, they could always be charged with using this power to manipulate the outcome, but if they really did attempt to be fair, one might reach a useful conclusion. Then you would have some idea as to whether certain groups were overrepresented in the ranks of terrorists.

Eureka. Brandon presents an appropriate, logical criteria to determining which ethnic or religious groups are over-represented in terrorism. If you disagree feel free to join the ranks of the likes of Ebrown who presents archaic and befuddled examples to show that Islamic terrorism is just one of the gang. (Though Brown, I was especially entertained at your raising the Spanish Inquisition in the context of modern terrorism Laughing ).

Oh, just to clarify, I did mean modern terrorism, as it is "modern" terrorism that affects us today. (The Trail of Tears kind of changes the genre here Rolling Eyes - funny mention nonetheless).

People, people, how hard is it calling a spade a spade. I'll freely grant that there are occasional (emphasize "occasional") terrorist acts aimed at the civilian populations of Western cultures perpetrated by non-Islamic groups (i.e. Oklahoma, Sarin gas in Tokyo), but these were one attack per group each. Not six months ago Hamas was averaging one attack every 72 hours. Al-Qaeda perpetrated one MAJOR attack every few years. I could go on and on backwards in time. From every other day in Iraq (they're killing their own people there), to Madrid, Bali, 9/11, African Embassies, etc, etc, etc. You may not agree that "MODERN" terrorism is almost monopolized by Islamics, but then again that spade could also be an atomically-synthethized washing machine too.

P.S. Dear Mr. Stillwater since you post such paltry and feeble (though loud) responses I will answer in a paltry and feeble manner.

Mr Stillwater wrote:
Take you prejudical, ignorant rants and shove them!

No such word (in English) as "prejudical". Though the rest of your sentence is grammatical gold. I will cease all "ignorrince" immediately.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 02:09 am
Lusatian wrote:

People, people, how hard is it calling a spade a spade. I'll freely grant that there are occasional (emphasize "occasional") terrorist acts aimed at the civilian populations of Western cultures perpetrated by non-Islamic groups (i.e. Oklahoma, Sarin gas in Tokyo), but these were one attack per group each.

Out of the about 3600 people, who lost their lives as a result of the troubles in Northern Ireland, 2060 have died directly as a result of actions perpetrated by the IRA (and others close to IRA).

Lusatian wrote:
Mr Stillwater wrote:
Take you prejudical, ignorant rants and shove them!

No such word (in English) as "prejudical". Though the rest of your sentence is grammatical gold. I will cease all "ignorrince" immediately.

Quote:
Prejudicial Language

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Definition:
Loaded or emotive terms are used to attach value or moral
goodness to believing the proposition.

Examples:
(i) Right thinking Canadians will agree with me that we
should have another free vote on capital punishment.
(ii) A reasonable person would agree that our income
statement is too low.
(iii) Senator Turner claims that the new tax rate will reduce
the deficit. (Here, the use of "claims" implies that what
Turner says is false.)
(iv) The proposal is likely to be resisted by the bureaucrats
on Parliament Hill. (Compare this to: The proposal is likely
to be rejected by officials on Parliament Hill.)

Proof:
Identify the prejudicial terms used (eg. "Right thinking
Canadians" or "A reasonable person"). Show that disagreeing
with the conclusion does not make a person "wrong thinking"
or "unreasonable".

References:
Cedarblom and Paulsen: 153; Davis: 62
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 02:16 am
Lusatian wrote:

prejudical

Quote:
prejudical

\Pre*ju"di*cal\, a. Of or pertaining to the determination of some matter not previously decided; as, a prejudical inquiry or action at law.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc

Pedantry is best accompanied by veracity. Without veracity it is just a sock, just a sock.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 07:31 am
Lusatian said:

"Oh, just to clarify, I did mean modern terrorism, as it is "modern" terrorism that affects us today. (The Trail of Tears kind of changes the genre here - funny mention nonetheless)."

Yeah - I thought you'd probably try that tack when you got called on some of the historical aspects of the use of terror. I am glad you find mention of the trail of tears amusing.

I take it this means that any acts of terror and genocide perpetrated by your recent ancestors and mine do not count?

Where is the cut off point? Oh - around the time Islamic terrorists became the more common? In the west? I see - well, that does sort of have an effect on your argument, does it not? Since, if you are saying anything very coherent, it seems you are saying that all terrorists are Islamic? All the ones that count, you mean.

Yes - if you exclude the realities of history - there are probably more Islamic terrorists than others at the present moment. This sort of demographic has been different in the past, and will be again. There are many with broader definitions of terrorism who would argue the demographic with you right now.

I am a little unsure what you believe this is saying?

Except, of course, that Lusatian enjoys being an agent provocateur.....
0 Replies