Any known issues with subdomains?

e2

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 09:41 am
I am getting a page not found error, I am on a subdomain testing server for my forum and am trying to implement the SEO mod to the forum. Everything has worked but when I add the phpBB static URLs mod_rewrite 1.0.0 to the forum i get a Object not found Error 404. So I've looked throughout the site for anything I might be doing wrong. I downloaded the latest version of the SEO, I even backtracked and removed the static URL mod which eliminated the 404 page not found error. Do you have any known issues with subdomains that I can look into to see if it causing the problem? The rest of the MOD seems to be working fine, just the Static URL addition is giving me issues.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,628 • Replies: 11
No top replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 10:43 am
1) Is the htaccess file in the same directory as the forum?

2) Is it properly created?

3) This should be step one but do you even have the ability to run mod_rewrite on your host?
0 Replies

e2

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 10:59 am
Craven de Kere wrote:

3) This should be step one but do you even have the ability to run mod_rewrite on your host?

That I will check on...I thought I did but I will double check to see if that is it. Is there a easy way to check this? Can I just "get info" on the file and check my permission on that file or is this a configuration on the server settings?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 11:00 am
It's a configuration on your server.

Just make a simple rewrite rule and see if it works or you should ask your host.
0 Replies

e2

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 11:22 am
I talk with my IT guy and I have mod_rewrite ability. Is there a way to trace out what's happening at each step so I can try and pin point where it's breaking?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 11:26 am
Try putting a slash at the beginning of all the rewrite rules.

I do not know what kind of access you have to logs but yes there probably is a way to audit the errors that your host can help you with.
0 Replies

e2

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 11:37 am
If i am getting the static url on the links, is that the php function replace_for_mod_rewrite() that is doing that? And when you actualy click on a link the .htaccess translates that to look for the correct post or message?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 11:39 am
The PHP code changes the URL's linked to to the html links.

The htaccess code is what rewrites those links back to the original php files.

So you can test this without the PHP implemented simply by typing the addresses in the address bar of your browser.

The PHP code just changes the links throughout your forum.

So to test and troubleshoot, just mess with the htaccess code and implement the PHP code when it is working.
0 Replies

e2

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 11:50 am
So if i am getting the Static URL's on all the links then is the htaccess file is working correctly or is the php code working? When i get a 404 error is it the php or htaccess that isn't doing it's translation to the actual pages?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 12:13 pm
e2 wrote:
So if i am getting the Static URL's on all the links then is the htaccess file is working correctly or is the php code working?

PHP

Quote:
When i get a 404 error is it the php or htaccess that isn't doing it's translation to the actual pages?

htaccess
0 Replies

e2

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 12:40 pm
If i don't add this part of the MOD how much effect will this have on the search engines being able to search my forum?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 12:44 pm
Google does pretty well with variables in URLs, if you used the mod and strip the SIDs it will be able to index the topics.

Other engines would like you more with the mod_rewrite portion of the mod though.
0 Replies