Re-formatting harddrive....HELP PLEASE

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 07:24 am
Alright, I've been having so many issues w/ this machine, this virus that one, this spy ware that one..I've several times done the steps listed in the hijack thread created by our own timberland.

I have come to the conclussion that I must wipe the slate clean after which I will install a firewall & an anit-virus program. Overdue stuff for sure. *sigh*

Now, after I back up everything that I wish to keep - what next? How do I do this??? I know I can do it and I really need to do it today.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 940 • Replies: 5
No top replies

onyxelle

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 08:50 am
pushing myself back to the top
0 Replies

Heliotrope

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 02:48 pm
Are you using a Western Digital drive ?
If you are then you can download the utility disk from their website. It's only small and fits on a floppy.
You can use the program on the newly created disk to format, partition and sort out your drive no problems.
If you get an older version of the software it will work on any drive.

I suggest doing it this way as it's unlikely that even a complete novice at formatting will screw it up whereas using the command line can be risky.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 02:53 pm
You can usually use your Windows Installer disk to format and reinstall.
0 Replies

onyxelle

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 03:25 pm
hey, this computer was built for me by a local pc shop - came with my windows CD (I expect). the cd is titled: Microsoft Windows 98 for computers without windows. This is all I need? okay uhm....how would I go about it? I'm not worried about my cable connection bc the company said once I reformat the hard drive they can walk me through the set up over the phone (I'm going to get a CD with all the proper drivers on it - just in case).

Now, how am I to go about the reformat deal? step by step....anyone?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 03:40 pm
Ony, hold off. I will PM you.
0 Replies