Does closing Explorer.exe when not in use save memory?

Roosh

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 09:16 pm
I'm under the uneducated assumption that closing explorer.exe through the Task Manager whenever I leave the computer for a substantial amount of time aids the performance of running file transfer apps by clearing up some memory...(I leave the pc on at all times.)

Is this true? Please shed some light. Thanks. Smile
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,173 • Replies: 11
No top replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 01:12 am
The legitimate explorer.exe, a process, is an integral part of Windows. and Windows knows that; if you shut it down, it just restarts itself. Windows pretty much just plain won't work without the explorer.exe process running. Its more or less the means by which you do anything you do with Windows.

On the otherhand, the legitimate explorer.exe is a process, not an application, and it resides in %systemroot% ("%systemroot% is a variable ... usually "C:")\Windows, not in any subfolder within Windows or in any other folder anywhere else. Some yuckware will create a counterfeit "explorer.exe", which will be an application, not a process, often found in %systemroot%\Windows\System32, though it can be damned near anywhere other than in %systemroot%\Windows. If the explorer.exe you're talking about appears under the first, or "Applications", tab in Task Manager, its a baddie, it is a serious hinderance to performance, a security/privacy risk, and its got to go away. If, however, there is but one instance of it, and that only under the second, or "Processes" tab, then all is as it should be.
0 Replies

Roosh

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 01:33 pm
Ok timberlandko,
thanks for the reply. It is the latter legit process found in Windows Task Manager's Processes tab that you speak of, so I'd still like to know from someone whether shutting it off when leaving the pc actually saves memory/cpu usage that can then be redirected to running applications.
Thanks.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 07:37 pm
Up to you, really; prolly neither gonna help or hurt much. If you terminate it, and Windows wants it, which it generally does more or less all the time, Windows will just start it up on its own. You might free some resources for a while, but the savings will be neither particularly significant nor longlasting. Suit yourself, Windows will suit itself. One caveat; shutting down explorer.exe may result in stability issues under certain circumstances.

Just for info: This is what Answers That Work has to say about explorer.exe:

Quote:
Task List Name: Explorer

Program and Manufacturer: Explorer.exe, Microsoft

What it is and what you can do: In a confusing way this refers to the Windows end-user interface : the desktop, the Task Bar, the Start Menu, etc.... It is not to be confused with Windows Explorer which uses the same program file !!

Recommendation : Vital !! Leave untouched.
0 Replies

Roosh

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 08:50 pm
Thanks for the info. :wink:
0 Replies

BILL GATES

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 05:50 am
EXPLORER.EXE IS AN IMPORTANT PARTOF WINDOWS IT IS NEEDED AT ALL TIMES, IF U END THIS PROCESS YOU WILL HAVE NO VISUALS ON THE DESKTOP
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 10:44 am
You don't NEED desktop visuals, or a taskbar, to operate Windows. They're convenient, and most generally used by just about everyone, but they're not mission-critical.
0 Replies

Roosh

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 01:19 pm
BILL GATES wrote:
EXPLORER.EXE IS AN IMPORTANT PARTOF WINDOWS IT IS NEEDED AT ALL TIMES, IF U END THIS PROCESS YOU WILL HAVE NO VISUALS ON THE DESKTOP

Roosh wrote:
whenever I leave the computer for a substantial amount of time [to aid] the performance of running file transfer apps by clearing up some memory...(I leave the pc on at all times.)

Plus, don't you think I'd already kind of noticed that the desktop disappears if I were making this post in the first place? Rolling Eyes

Guys, everything that needs to be explained or addressed has always been in that 1st post.
0 Replies

Relative

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 01:55 pm
Roosh : yes you can kill every single process you want, until you've got the bare minimum -experimet with that.
Concerning performance - no. Especially file transfer, that depends only on disk speed/network speed, will not be affected - unless you have a very slow cpu (33 MHz or something).
Amount of RAM can affect performance - depending on how the 'file transfer apps' use it. Be aware that all memory in Windows is virtual -windows can and do decide when an application's memory is cached to disk to free up some RAM for other apps to use.

I am running some apps that use up to 2Gig of memory; in this case all applications (including the venerable Explorer.exe) get swapped to disk, leaving them with just a couple of bytes of real RAM.

Relative
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 02:25 pm
Shutting down explorer.exe will have little if any discernable beneficial impact on file transfer, as noted by Relative. One thing you might get some benefit from, though, Roosh, would be to assign a higher priority to your file transfer application's processes. Not much else, apart from upgrading your drive and/or network connections, is gonna make any difference at all with file transfer.
0 Replies

Roosh

Reply Wed 23 Jun, 2004 04:12 pm
These last two are helpful, thanks.

The reason I believed this method was effective in the 1st place was because I'd look at the Process list in Windows Task Manager and see explorer.exe's "Mem Usage' hovering around the 20,000K mark, and saw that ending it while away from the pc eased the "Commit Charge" a bit; taking it from 270M/921M to 255M/921M for example. However, since I now have your point about it being irrelevant to the p2ps' performance, I suppose that doing this is pointless, unless perhaps I were still at the computer and wished to use IE or Word and improve performance. Yes?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Fri 25 Jun, 2004 09:38 am
You could always give that a shot, Roosh, and see if it works for you. I doubt you're gonna be satisfied with what happens, but as I've never tried it, I won't make any pronouncement other than to express doubt and to say I would expect difficulties. But what the hell, it won't result in sparks, smoke, and snapping noises.
0 Replies