Son in law cleaned computer - canot access hotmail

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 03:51 pm
My son-in-law helped us add my wife's computer to DSL. Then he installed Ad Aware and ran it. He said he cleaned up both computers to make them faster, etc. But, now she can't access Yahoo email and Hotmail and I can't access Hotmail. Woe is us. How do we get in there?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,042 • Replies: 22
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 04:04 pm
I bet he cleaned out the cookies..

Well, what do I know. I'll listen and see what a computer-smart person says.
0 Replies

mikey

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 04:49 pm
nice father's day present edgar. i love it when mine 'help' me out like that.

i have no idea what to tell you on how to fix it.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 05:01 pm
Re: Son in law cleaned computer - canot access hotmail
edgarblythe wrote:
now she can't access Yahoo email and Hotmail and I can't access Hotmail.

Edgar, please explain what steps you're taking to try to access hotmail & yahoo, and what exactly happens when you do. Are you not able to see those websites at all, or are you having trouble logging in to them? Are you getting any error messages?

BTW, clearing out cookies wouldn't cause this problem, but disabling them might.
0 Replies

Anoxia

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 05:19 pm
I would get this son-in-law of yours to fix this problem. If he knows about computers, he should know that disabling cookies, and other such security measures, would prevent you from going to your usual websites.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 05:26 pm
Well, is it a quick fix to just delete disabled cookies then?

Oh, I should just be quiet, I am dangerous when I know one tiny little thing.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 05:34 pm
Osso, by disabling cookies what's meant is to block them from being created in the first place. There could be other measures/programs in place that're causing the problem though, and if Edgar explained more about his situation in might make recommending a fix less of a shot in the dark.

To adjust cookie settings in IE you'd click Tools->Internet Options->Privacy tab.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 05:40 pm
Check the Security and the Privacy settings for Internet Explorer. From the toolbar in IE, select Tools > Internet Options > Security ... set that to "Default" in each "Zone", then click "Privacy" and set that to "Default" as well. Update us here with your results, if you would, please.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 05:44 pm
Hey, Monger, I keep getting this annoying pop up that says The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.

If I try to close it or hit "ok" or "cancel" the the site will shut down.

How do I get rid of that annoyance?
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 06:22 pm
Gus, that error message commonly is triggered by a problem with ISScript, a component of the InstallShield install routine used by many program installations. Typically, it will be associated with errors in Adobe Acrobat, Windows Journal Viewer, or Microsoft Office applications. What site(s) does it happen on, and what are you doing, or trying to do, when it happens?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 06:46 pm
Sorry to bother everyone. I finally contacted my s-i-l and he said there is a filter on the port router. Sure enough I changed a number there and it made everything allright again. My s-i-l is a bit quirky. When I would go in to watch him he would grumble that he didn't want everyone in there while he worked. Consequently, I didn't learn a whole lot about what he did.Thanks all. Hope you're having a better day than I.
0 Replies

Monger

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 07:54 pm
Excellent, Edgar! Smile

gustavratzenhofer wrote:
Hey, Monger, I keep getting this annoying pop up that says The feature you are trying to use is on a network resource that is unavailable.

If I try to close it or hit "ok" or "cancel" the the site will shut down.
How do I get rid of that annoyance?

Howdy Gus, that error is very often associated with the Windows Installer Service or, as Timber said, InstallShield (they're 2 different packages that help you install other programs). It could indicate certain files or registry entries are missing or damaged, but yeah I'm gonna echo Timber's question: what're you doing when you get the error? (It very possibly has nothing to do with Acrobat, Journal Viewer or Office by the way, so if you weren't using any of those programs that doesn't change much.)
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sun 20 Jun, 2004 09:43 pm
Yeah, good deal, Edgar, and no bother at all. Too bad its not so easy to get yerself a fix for that son-in-law problem Twisted Evil

And just to echo Monger, Gus, the apps I listed are only typical sourcepoints for the problem you describe ... there are any number of other possibilities too, so please give us more info re what's goin' on when the problem pops up.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 12:03 am
Actually, I have only checked my Yahoo mail account and visited this site in the last couple of days.

I have no problems when I'm checking my mail, only on this site.

It's irritating because when it shuts down and I come back, obviously all the new posts are gone and I have to start all over.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 12:26 am
Could you try going to a few other sites and let us know what happens? I wonder too if anyone else is experiencing anything similar. I begin to suspect a possible yuckware problem ... or at the very least a failed/corrupted installation of something. Have you knowingly installed any new software recently ... downloaded or otherwise, or uninstalled any?

I'm goin' to bed here pretty quick, but this is the middle of Monger's day ... he might be along soon with something, and I'll check back once my tomorrow gets goin'.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 06:03 am
I'll keep you posted, Timber. Thanks for the help.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 06:20 am
edgarblythe- IMO, if you sil doesn't want you to know what he is doing, don't let him fool around with your computer. I can understand him not wanting you to breathe down his neck while he is working, but the least that he could do is let you know what he has done, after the work has been done. He is not doing you a favor by "fixing" your computer, so that you have problems working it!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 10:44 am
On Gus's question - I had something similar but not the same happen a couple of days ago. Sorry if this is too off track -

I have sbcyahoo, and have usually read my mail via outlook express as it is faster for me to delete than reading the yahoo mail page. Problem with that is that my received spam comes through on outlook, although mostly highlighted in magenta.

So a few weeks ago I decided to get in the habit of going to the yahoo mail site to knock off the bulk mail first, and then go back to OE to read the non spam mail. It worked well.
Then I went away for a few days and when I came back I couldn't login to yahoo. Not that I had the wrong password or anything, just that the login in window kept coming back asking me to log in. I finally contacted yahoo, they gave me a slightly different way to access the page ( http://mail.yahoo.com.) and it worked. However... when I used my old desktop shortcut, it still didn't. I then changed desktop shortcut.

This may or may not be related to yahoo just switching to increased storage size, as that happened in the three days I was away.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 08:16 pm
phoenix
I don't really doubt my son-in-law's good intentions. He is just a loner type who will sit at home while my daughter goes places and does things. He's about as close to a hermit as one can get without actually being one. He just doesn't want anybody around most of the time. Hopefully I will never have need of his expertise in the future.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 09:32 pm
edgarblythe - I didn't doubt his intentions either. It is just that the way he is going about "helping" is not doing you any good.
0 Replies