SINGY BOYS

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2015 01:20 am
The very first memory of a record that had my two sister's dancing around their Dansette (see below), and getting me to join in, was this one, by Bobby Vee......

Dansette.....every UK household with teenage kids had one of these by about 1960...
http://www.bl.uk/onlinegallery/themes/recordplayers/images/dansette/dansette06.jpg
Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2015 01:24 am
My Aunt, who was in high school when i was just a toddler, had a similar one, but it had a crank handle on the side, so that you could get the turn table spinning, and then switch to battery power. Saved on battery power, and my sister and i would jump around and play the fool "dancing" while my aunt and her girl friends laughed themselves sick.
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2015 01:26 am
@Lordyaswas,
And, of course, this........

Poetry In Motion....

There then followed a period of time when they (my sisters) almost fought cat and dog about who had what wall space in their shared bedroom so they could put posters up of their respective idols. One was for Elvis, the other for Cliff and The Shadows.

I also remember a string of "tragedy" songs that came along, which had all the girls weeping. They seemed to be all the rage for a while.

I shall dig out one or two.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2015 01:34 am
Tragedy song one.....

This Ricky Valance version made it big over here.....

Tell Laura I Love Her

And the other one was Leader of The Pack, by The Shangri-Las, which would sidetrack this man only thread.

They both had boyfriends who rode motorbikes and wore leathers, and I distinctly remember one of my sisters bringing home that record and playing it for the first time, and both of them crying. They then played it again. And again.......... and continued to cry.

It was at that tender age that I discovered that young women were quite, quite strange.....

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2015 01:43 am
They would play songs like this--although by the time this rolled around, my aunt was getting ready to go off to college:

0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2015 01:46 am
@Setanta,
I wonder how many of those things they sold around the world during the late 50's early 60's?

I remember my Mum buying our first supposed stereogram. Years later when we took it apart and threw it away, it turned out that the "stereo" element was a long cardboard tube which carried the mono sound to both ends of the stereogram. Gullible or wot?
Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2015 01:48 am
This was a big hit in those old-timey days, but i don't know if i remember it from then, or later:

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2015 02:00 am
@Lordyaswas,
Capitalism is a wonderful thing. I remember that the really "serious" music lovers were into hi-fi, high fidelity sound. They held out even after stereo came in.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2015 02:06 am
Going back to my earlier reference to Cliff and The Shadows, I now realise that the USA would probably not have a clue as to who he/they are.

Cliff Richards, for a while, was considered to be the UK's answer to Elvis. His backing group The Shadows had many instrumental guitar hits in their own right, and in the three or four years leading up to when The Beatles broke, they were pretty much megastars of their day.

In this video, look out for Hank Marvin in the backing group. He's the one who looks like Buddy Holly.
Years later, I was (along with three mates) in training for a half marathon and we used to jog round and round our local recreation field.
One day, out of the blue, Hank Marvin and his Irish Wolfhound turned up on the scene and asked if he could join us.
He did a few laps and then went off, but turned up on many occasions without the dog, and ran with us for miles.
He was apparently getting himself fit for a comeback tour of Europe.

When I wrote and told my sister who had by then emigrated to Oz, she couldn't believe it, as he was the one she idolised with all those posters, years before.

So, here is the English Elvis, with my old jogging mate.

Stop laughing at the back.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2015 02:31 am
Some people knew of Cliff Richards, but it was a cult thing. You had to get a god-awfully overpriced record from a merchant seaman who had been to England. There's apparently some copyright spat between the UK and the US which affects music and books. The list of Beatles albums, for example, doesn't match the US list.

We didn't get a television until 1956 (small-town America, we had to wait for a nearby city to get a television broadcasting station). When we got one, at the insistence of my grandmother, no one watched it but her. We all went into another room to listen to our favorite radio programs with my grandfather. One very popular program was the Lucky Strike Hit Parade. But when that came on television, my grandmother was able to seduce us from our former loyalty--the lure of the flickering screen was irresistible. I remeber this song, which was a big hit in 1958. It's based on the story of a murder in North Carolina in 1866. The song went to number one in the US.

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2015 03:12 am
Now for something completely different . . . David Byrne singing in front of Talking Heads . . .

0 Replies

ekename

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2015 05:04 am
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2015 05:15 am
Buddy Greco
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2015 05:18 am
Nat King Cole's brother Freddy Cole
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2015 07:49 am
One of my fave songs.

Billy Bragg.

Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2015 10:15 am
@jespah,
A Barking boy, born and bred. Just down the road from the Dagenham Ford Factory.

Nice to see Kirsty MacColl.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2015 10:43 am
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Wed 18 Mar, 2015 10:58 am
@Lordyaswas,
Quote:
CC Rider meets Green Onions.

Definitely
Alan Price was a force.