SINGY BOYS

panzade

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 09:39 am
Great Charlie Daniels factoid , Hoss
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 12:06 pm
Known better for Work Out, Lonely Teardrops and such, here is Jackie Wilson with my favorite by him
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 12:15 pm
Different Little Stevie W. Smile

This one always make me shiver a bit and I want to dance.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 01:01 pm
Thank you, Set and everybody, this thread is so good I haven't even replied, too busy listening and looking up people on wiki or elsewhere. It's a feast.
0 Replies

wmwcjr

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 02:25 pm

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/IlQPCUgsNIc/hqdefault.jpg
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 03:19 pm
Love this one ...

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 03:21 pm
Hmmm. Maybe we need a Singy Duets thread.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 03:23 pm
Here is the immensely talented Paolo Nutini (a Scot, believe it or not) having a fun jam session down what looks like his local Pub.

Pencil Full of Lead.....

And

Let Me Down Easy....

hingehead

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 03:30 pm
@Lordyaswas,
The first time I heard of Paolo was on the Cinque Terre - do you think the name fooled the Italians?
vonny

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 03:33 pm
Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 03:33 pm
@hingehead,
Probably.

Actually, it's surprising how many Italian families settled in Scotland during the big ice cream/fish and chips boom in the early 1900's.

I don't know Paolo's history, but I wouldn't be surprised if his family was one of them.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 03:40 pm
Tony Bennett
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 03:52 pm
Now for something from Mick Jagger (the only guy in rock with a mouth as big as Steven Tyler's). This is not his usual sort of gig--here he sings "The Long Black Veil," with the Chieftains. Although this song has all the earmarks of the folk music of Ireland, Scotland and England, it was in fact written in 1959, and orginally recorded by Lefty Frizzell.

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 03:57 pm
I remember when Long Black Veil was a new song. I thought it had to be a very old song, because of the lyrics and because none like it were on the radio. Never knew the truth until sometime near the end of the century.
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 03:57 pm
Elvis ...

0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 04:04 pm
@Setanta,
Nice find, Set. Is that a one off? Or is there an album out there somewhere of which I am unaware?

edgarblythe

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 04:05 pm
Lloyd Price

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 04:05 pm
Vic Dana made me think of Vic Damone. I posted this song in another thread recently. "Stranger in Paradise" is from the highly successful musical Kismet--a big hit on Broadway and in London's West End. The Music is based on the music of Alexander Borodin. This song is based on the Gliding Dance of the Maidens, one of the Polovtsian Dances, from Borodin's opera Prince Igor. I have chosen the cut from the movie (also highly successful) because the single he released in 1957 really sucks. I have to warn you, though, there's a darned ol' girl in it (Ann Blyth). I'm gonna blame Hinge.

0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 04:07 pm
Here is the late, great Joe Cocker.

Rather than play one of his later videos, I thought I'd play an early one, when everything was utterly groovy and he was at his manic best.

The Letter....

wandeljw

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 04:12 pm
Rick Astley's first music video (posted by Setanta) was unintentionally funny and became infamous. To his credit, a few years later, Astley came back with a very soulful song, Cry For Help.

0 Replies