SINGY BOYS

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2015 04:34 pm
This song has origins in Russia, the English version was first sung by these guys

Members
Gaylan Taylor
Don Marovich
Andy Corwin

Past members
Alex Hassilev
Darcie Deaville
Lou Gottlieb
Glenn Yarbrough
Ernie Sheldon
Red Grammer
Rick Dougherty
Bill Zorn
Mack Bailey
John David[disambiguation needed]
Geoffrey Pike
Roger McGuinn

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2015 04:37 pm
From a folk song tradition which dates back from before the arrival of English-speakers in North America . . .

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2015 04:56 pm
From that same folk song tradition, i'm going back to Steve Winwood . . .

One English scholar asserts that a character which appears in pre-Christian Anglo-Saxon poem and song cycles is one and the same as John Barleycorn--making the tradition over a thousand years old. The broadsheet below was printed in 1725:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/17/Broadside_ballad_entitled_%27A_Huy_and_Cry_After_Sir_John_Barlycorn%27.jpg
Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2015 05:26 pm
Domingo "Sam" Samudio of Texas formed the group Sam the Sham and the Pharaohs after his discharge from the Navy. In 1965, they had a hit with "Wooly Bully" (about Sam's cat), which, although it never reached number one (it stalled at number two) was the first big domestic hit at the time of the "British invasion." The song was in the top 40 for more than four months, and for almost 40 years, held a chart record.

This, though, is my favorite:

0 Replies

jespah

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2015 05:34 pm
One of the best male voices of the 20th century, I'd say --

Setanta

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2015 06:00 pm
About the only guy (Steve Tyler) in rock with a mouth as big as Mick Jagger's . . .

0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 16 Mar, 2015 06:07 pm
One of these guys is Billy Vaughn, who went on to make hit records with his orchestra
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 02:10 am
@jespah,
Totally agree. Possibly the artist with the most stage presence that I've ever seen.

I was trying to find the Live Aid performance this time yesterday, but the dog's nagging won out and I took him for a walk.

Freddie came on the stage at Live Aid and blew everyone away. It was shown live in the USA on simultaneous feed, and apparently the crowds over there were equally impressed.

Here's just a short snippet of that day......

And in the Telegraph.....
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/rockandpopmusic/8785536/Queen-their-finest-moment-at-Live-Aid.html
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 02:50 am
Bruce Springsteen is a great songwriter and performer . . . this song, from his fifth album, was a hit for him in 1980.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 03:00 am
Tom Petty is another great songwriter.

0 Replies

vonny

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 03:20 am
@Setanta,
Dedicated to me? Oops - am I missing something ... like my funeral! Ah well, another music thread is always welcome Laughing

Here's one of my favourite (ever) songs - corny, but this song gets me every time Rolling Eyes

0 Replies

vonny

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 03:22 am
And here's another of my favourites ... corny or what! Love it though!

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 04:19 am
Dedicated to you because, just a short while ago, you were saying there weren't enough music threads . . .

Here's one of my favorite performers, since my childhood. The video is from "Black and White Nights," a Cinemax television special to salute Roy Orbison. From the Wikipedia article on the show:

Quote:
Other celebrity admirers of Orbison were in the audience, including Billy Idol, Patrick Swayze, Sandra Bernhard, and Kris Kristofferson. The backing band was the TCB Band, which accompanied Elvis Presley from 1969 until his death in 1977: Glen D. Hardin on piano, James Burton on lead guitar, Jerry Scheff on bass, and Ronnie Tutt on drums. Male background vocalists, some of whom also joined in on guitar, were Bruce Springsteen, Tom Waits, Elvis Costello, Jackson Browne, J.D. Souther, and Steven Soles. The female background vocalists were k.d. lang, Jennifer Warnes, and Bonnie Raitt. During the end credits, several of the band members are shown talking about how Orbison influenced them.

The concert was filmed on September 30, 1988. Roy Orbison died December 6, 1988.

This is the URL for the entire show:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PLq0_7k1jk&list=PLF7BAC40533FD93BC
0 Replies

vonny

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 04:30 am
Jim Morrison of The Doors - some happy memories attached to this one.

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 05:05 am
That brought to mind a different Morrison . . . this song is from 1970. (Can you believe how young he looks in that picture?)

0 Replies

vonny

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 05:14 am
Can't forget Axl Rose ...

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 05:32 am
Vonny, you're such a rocker! Who knew?

Here's another of those damned Irishmen . . .

0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 05:46 am
@Setanta,
Excellent choice with Steve Winwood.

THE voice of English soul.

Not a song, but a documentary for anyone who may wish to find out how and where he started to amaze people......
I recommend it for when you have the time to spare.

Steve Winwood (about an hour long, but very entertaining)

0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 05:55 am
Now you've made me listen to "John Barleycorn" again. Thanks, Boss, i'll check that out later. I do remember from back in the day that he was just a kid when he started with the Spencer Davis Group.
0 Replies

panzade

Reply Tue 17 Mar, 2015 09:29 am
Little Stevie W was a huge influence on me as I started to learn blues piano and his uncanny ability to mimic Ray Charles made me doubt he was only 16 years old
0 Replies