Defragmenter keeps starting and stopping

cgoud

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 08:08 am
I can't defrag or empty the Recycle bin anymore. The defrager just stops and starts. Is there a fix for this? I'm not the least bit computer savvy. I'm running Windows 98 Special Edition.
I also keep getting a message at start up to download RealPlayer. I don't want RealPlayer. Once I downloaded it thinking that would get rid of the prompt but that didn't work either. How can I get rid of this message?
Someone told me that the Norton Anti-virus that I have can cause problems. I've been using it for a few months.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 560 • Replies: 2
No top replies

GeneralTsao

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 08:47 am
I don't know if this will help you, but it helped me:

I turn off all programs, including the screensaver when defragging. I had some programs that for some reason caused the defragger to restart because they'd write something to the hard disk.

Don't forget to check the "tray" for programs running there. I turn everything off.

General
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 09:00 am
Anti-Virus apps can interfere with Defrag ... try temporarilly disabling your Norton. Also, consult the documentation for Norton; look for "Protected Recycle Bin". Almost anything running in the background can interfere with Scandisc and Defrag; screesavers, power profiles, auto-updating programs, open chat or messenger applications or email clients, "keep-alive" dial-up connection helpers, calendar reminders, Scheduling Agent ... the list goes on and on. I generally defrag in safemode; you might wanna try that. For your RealPlayer problem, first check Add/Remove programs, and uninstall it there if present. Search for a folder named "Real" or "RealPlayer", most likely in C:\Programs, and delete that folder. Then, equip yourself with Spybot S&D and AdAware[/i][/u]. Following the instructions in the documentation for each, install, update, and configure both for maximum protection, then run run them, one after the other, letting each "fix" whatever it finds.
0 Replies