Are people pessimistic or optimistic?

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 07:40 pm
What is the nature of humans pessimistic or optimistic?

I do not think I am speaking about thier disposition - but thier nature.

(Sure you can reject 'nature' - I just wanted to be less opaque about the nature of my question - no pun intended).

TF
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,028 • Replies: 14
No top replies

JLNobody

Reply Thu 17 Jun, 2004 10:12 pm
TF, strange question. My answer for the moment would lean toward optimism, as an ontological, not just psychological trait. Psychologically we vary with personality, mood and circumstance. But without a basic optimism, we might have had a far more difficult time, with less chance of success, surviving and evolving as a species. Merely to get out of bed in the morning implies some degree of optimism. On the other hand, if we had not characteristically taken precautions, implying a degree of pragmatic pessimism, we might not have made it. Well, a strange question deserves a strange answer. Don't you agree?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 09:02 am
the optimist and the pessimist were walking in the desert. They had run out of water, and there was no shade in sight. The pessimist said: "Now it can't get any worse!", to wich the optimist replied, "Oh yes it can. Just you wait..."

I think we're really talking about angles...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 09:22 am
Well, the classic definition, attributable to someone, I'm sure: "The optimist believes we live in the best of all possible worlds; the pessimist fears this is true."
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 09:26 am
pd, Good definition. Wink
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 09:32 am
Attributed to James Branch Cabell, apparently...
0 Replies

Ray

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 01:38 pm
perspectives
In the case of the glass being half full, and the glass being half empty...
I think they're both right, but pessimists seem to be more depressed.
Optimism with a touch of realism is the best way to go.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Fri 18 Jun, 2004 01:43 pm
I'm definately a glass is half full person. My parents raised me to always look for the good in people and strive to be positive no matter what curve balls come my way.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 02:29 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
the optimist and the pessimist were walking in the desert. They had run out of water, and there was no shade in sight. The pessimist said: "Now it can't get any worse!", to wich the optimist replied, "Oh yes it can. Just you wait..."

I think we're really talking about angles...

I fear this relativistic response. I am simply asking about human nature.

I have heard many a pessimist say that they were a 'realist' - which seems to make them even greater of a pessimist in view.

I am reminded of a conversation I had with a Muslim from Pakistan when he said "I don't understand democracy... isn't it the most pessimistic form of government on the planet - with its triple redundant systems that never trust anyone."

Are we as a species optomists - with our ability to think that we can always make a life better for our kids - no matter what circumstance we are in - or just stupid.

TF
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 04:33 pm
I can't imagine how to answer your question. Does optimist vs. pessimist have any relevance outside of the human frame? And if it doesn't, can a meaningful distinction be made?
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 05:08 pm
If it did have any relevence outside the human frame could we really answer the question. If my dog was an optimist or a pessimist I would not really know.

However, this does not mean that the question cannot be answered. If optimism and pessimism is restricted to the human frame why does this make either position undistinguishable from the other.

Many humans think that rationality is restricted to the human experience - but that does not make irrational decisions and rational once indistinguishable from each other.

I guess that the problem with my question is that I am asking for a universal where one seems difficult to discern.

But that does not mean that the question could not be broached. In your experience, are people optimists or pessimists? Can you extrapolate on those experiences and seek to induce a conclusion about humanity as a whole?

TF
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 05:11 pm
Hmmm. I would probably, if pressed, classify more people I've known as optimists than not, though the largest group would probably be "undetermined."

And my opinion on the matter isn't worth much, either: I am a deeply pessimistic person who doesn't even believe that the human species has any particular merit.
0 Replies

thethinkfactory

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 05:15 pm
Odd... I never thought that a persons pessimism woudl not allow him to answer the question. Wink

Thanks for stretching a bit for me.

TF
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 05:22 pm
Well, what I mean is that everyone who's got a rosier view of the world than I do, I'd probably view as being a damned optimist.

My sister accused me of nihilism when I was a kid, but I didn't know what it meant, and didn't care enough to find out...
0 Replies

nn

Reply Thu 1 Jul, 2004 04:42 pm
Your attitude depends on your state of mind. as humans we think this life is the it factor, its not until you let everything go, and just be that you can always be an optimistic person. pescimism is negative energy and that really has no excuse to be in existance other than life is organized in the way that theres always a beg. and end, always a balance, the sun, the moon, etc. nothing in life just goes one way.
0 Replies