Which is less moral: Stem Cell research or waiting for a Donor to die?

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 01:09 pm
This is probably old hat, but I will ask it anyway.

Until we are able to invent an artificial organ, like a heart, that is functional and safe is it not best that we continue to research ways to clone organs that might make transplants safer and easier? I find it odd that those who oppose stem research would be ok with organs transplants that require that for one person to live another has to die... and hoping that that transplant takes without complications.

Then there is that list of so many people who are waiting for life saving organs from donors. Why should they have to wait if the there's a chance that cloning could be an answer?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 1,438 • Replies: 4
No top replies

contrex

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 01:54 pm
@argome321,
argome321 wrote:
organs transplants that require that for one person to live another has to die...

You make it sound like people are killed to provide organs. Usually suitable donations come from people who die in accidents, around 17,000 each year in Britain. Nobody knew they were going to die.

FBM

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 04:06 pm
@argome321,
My understanding is that the religious right opposes stem cell research because it initially involved harvesting stem cells from fertilized embryos (4~5 days old), which they consider to be human beings with a soul that their god cares for.

Since then, scientists have developed other ways to get stem cells, but that's a moot point to the religious right. They've already made up their mind and won't have it changed by the insertion of mere facts, data and information.
argome321

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 05:47 pm
@contrex,
Quote:
You make it sound like people are killed to provide organs. Usually suitable donations come from people who die in accidents, around 17,000 each year in Britain. Nobody knew they were going to die.

That is your interpretation... not mine

. But the reality is that indigence people have sold body parts to make ends meat, serious pun intended.

But that was not my point, Whether we want to admit it or not when you' re waiting for a vital organ until some others means is found like an artificial organ or a donor is found a recipient is waiting for the death of anther individual. That recipient life is also hanging in the balance.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 22 Feb, 2015 06:03 pm
@FBM,
agree
0 Replies