Sticking up for others

Baldimo

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2015 02:36 pm
My son Timmy got in a fight the other day at his school. He goes to a deaf boarding school here in CO and several of his classmates were picking on another student who was gay. He did the right thing in stepping up for his friend even though he knew that fighting in school or the dorms is wrong. He did indeed get in trouble at school and had to serve a days in-school suspension because of it. I'll be picking him up tonight from the bus and taking him where ever he wants to go for dinner. Trouble at school does not always mean trouble at home. Someone has to reward him for doing the right thing.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,312 • Replies: 8
No top replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2015 02:45 pm
@Baldimo,
I agree. Interesting situation, in that ordinarily one would advise doing that verbally, but signing in such a situation would likely not do the job, though what do I know..
0 Replies

roger

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2015 03:31 pm
@Baldimo,
Good for you - and him.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2015 06:43 pm
@Baldimo,
You're son sound terrific and you sound like a great dad!

My kid got suspended for sticking up for himself. We went out for ice cream.
0 Replies

caillali000

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2015 06:48 pm
@Baldimo,
I agree, my brother was himself bullied and my parents told him that they would support him if he would fight with those kids, the next day my mom got some called about parents who their kids had been beat up by my brother because they bullied him, your son did the right thing and so did you by supporting him because he fought for a right cause
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2015 07:21 pm
I'm curious about the teachers there. Are they all Deaf with a capital D? I know there are categories re deafness, but not much about that. Sozobe, who rarely posts anymore, is a major info source, and looking through her posts about all that might be useful for you. I presume you will not agree politically, but that is the way of it here. If I remember, Soz created a business for getting deaf people jobs.. and she knows her beeswax.

Also, what alternative would the teacher(s) who nabbed your son suggest?

boomerang

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2015 08:07 pm
@ossobuco,
Ouch.

I miss Soz so much....
ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2015 08:20 pm
@ossobuco,
adds, I didn't mean to imply that was a for profit business.

0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2015 08:21 pm
@boomerang,
So do I, so do I.
0 Replies