Latin Expert required for Small Translation

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 03:13 pm
I was hoping somebody could help me with this sentence:

Sciant presentes et futuri quod ego Willelmus clericus dedi concessi et hac presenti carta mea confirmavi Hugoni filio meo et heredibus suis duas bovatas terre infra villam de Walton cum pratis et pasturis et omnibus pertinenciis.

So far I have

Let it be known present, that I, Clergyman William, do permit by this record to give my son Hugo and his heirs, two bovates of land within the village of Walton with meadows and pastures and all appurtenances
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 846 • Replies: 5
No top replies

shabba6643

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 03:57 pm
@shabba6643,
let them know, present and future that I, Clergyman William, (not sure where 'dedi' fits in') have granted and presented by this record to give my son Hugo and his heirs, two bovates of land within the village of Walton with meadows and pastures and all appurtenances.

It this any better? I am still struggling with the tenses and cases - I have never really studied grammar in general which does not help.
shabba6643

Reply Thu 19 Feb, 2015 04:17 pm
@shabba6643,
I think I have solved it!

known to all people present and to come that I, Clergyman William have given granted and by this charter, my son Hugo and his hiers two bovates of land within the village of Walton with meadows and pastures and all appurtenances.

Is this correct?
George

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2015 07:57 am
@shabba6643,
Well done!

The only changes I would suggest are:
Use "Be it known" or "Let it be known"

Use "clerk" rather than "clergyman". In those days clericus or "clerk" meant
someone who could read and write.

Why this interest in medieval court records?
shabba6643

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2015 09:26 am
@George,
Thank you for your help George, it is very much appreciated.

My interest stems from being a part time Medieval student, I am not currently learning Latin - though I will be next year Very Happy

I just wanted to get a head start as Latin is completely new to me and the other students have previous experience. I am also generally interested in genealogy.

Could you help me with this sentence as I am confused by it:

inquisitio capta juratores dicunt quod Ricardus et Petrus heredes Johannis sunt. fidelitate facta Ricardus et Petrus capiunt omnia et singula premissa

So far I have:

Under investigation, the jurors say that Richard and Peter are the hires of John. (this next part really confuses me) Fidelity ?having made? Richard and Peter all and forgoing

And advice or help would be appreciated, I am sure there is an ablative absolute, though I am unfamiliar with this.

Thank you
George

Reply Fri 20 Feb, 2015 10:25 am
@shabba6643,
I think you mean "heirs", not "hires".

Fideliate facta is indeed an ablative absolute. It means "Having done fealty".

capiunt omnia et singula premissa
took all and sundry of that mentioned before

0 Replies