LONDON

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 07:02 pm
I will probably be going to London this year (saw the postings of what promise to be two SUPER trips which, unfortunately I cannot join this year). Does anyone have any tips or advice of any kind. By the way, I am following the postings of the other two trips, and I really like the "democratic" type of group planning. I'd appreciate any words of advice.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 3,542 • Replies: 32
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 07:18 pm
Woollcott, First off, Welcome to A2K. Secondly, you're talking about my fav destination; London, England. I've been to London many times, so I can make all kinds of suggestions as a visitor. There are many A2Kers that live in London that can help you even more. As a matter of fact, I attended the first London A2K Gathering last year in March, then attended the second A2K Gathering in San Francisco this past April. Before we can make any kind of recommendations, we need to know something about what your interests are, although there are "must sees" that nobody should miss - such as the British Museum. If you can tie down some dates that you will be in London, I'm sure some A2K Brits can meet with you - have a few drinks, and share a meal together - with some laughter and good conversation.
0 Replies

Woollcott

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 09:49 pm
Where we go will be primarily up to my wife, as part of the price of agreeing to go (she feels travel is unsafe in these days and times). What we would be interested in, basically is the typical "rubberneckers" tour for first-timers.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 15 Jun, 2004 10:24 pm
I travel extensively all over this planet, and I don't fear for my safety. There are over six billion people on this planet; if it's our time to go, nothing will prevent it. London offers so much in the way of world class museums and theatre, that "rubberneckers" tour for first-timers would be a challenge. If you're going to stay for at least one week, get the one week pass to use on the underground and busses. Public transportation in London is excellent. If you purchase the one week pass before you leave the states, you can use to to travel from the airport to downtown London. There are several city tours offered by different companies; take the one that will cover the main attractions in London. Before you go, get a map of London which includes the underground and study it. Whatever you do, don't miss the British Museum and Library. You'll see treasures from all over the world. Take time to go on the London Eye, the largest Ferris wheel in the world. Take your camera with you; you can get great photos of Parliament while on the Eye. London has one of the best theatre districts on the whole planet, so try to at least see a show or two. Get discount tickets at those special booths all over the main tourist streets. Don't forget to let the Brits know when you'll be in London to schedule a get-together with other A2Kers. They're a great bunch of people. Walter might even show up from Germany.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 12:01 am
My suggestion - approved by my wife, since she did such, when first being to England/London - is:

buy travelcard, go by tube/Docklands Light Railway to Greenwich, take the ship dowm the Thames to Westminster Palace, join there one of sightseeing busses ... and decide afterwards, wheat you want to see in specific.

For more help, go to A2K's Portal and have a look HERE .... and ask us :wink:

Welcome to A2K, btw!
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 12:10 am
Since I live in London, I hardly know any "touristy sights" but more than happy to provide any assistance you might need.....

Walter and ci are veterans of London....
0 Replies

Woollcott

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 04:06 pm
If you had to pick the THREE BEST (or most interesting) sites for a first-time tourist -especially where a visit might last most of the day - what would be your three "first" choices?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 04:08 pm
Use the Underground; that's a freebie and doesn't count towards the THREE BEST. Wink You already know my first choice. BTW, you can count the British Museum and Library as one. ha ha ha.....
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 04:13 pm
Great city.

3 best, only 3.

1. The Tower of London
2. Tate Gallery
3. A pint of guiness at any traditional English pub.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 04:15 pm
There are two Tates. As for the English pub, go to the "ye olde Cheshire Cheese" where Dickens and Dr Johnson frequented in the days of yore.
Here's a link for location and history. Wink http://www.pubs.com/chesec4.htm
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 11:33 pm
Yes, Cheshire Cheese sounds good. Would still do a tour with the (open) double-decker and one museum (depending on interest: either the British, one of the Tate's or [my personal choice] the Victoria and Albert).
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 16 Jun, 2004 11:48 pm
I second Walter's choice of the Victoria and Albert. If you haven't seen David in Italy, they have a same size David in the V&A. The V&A is huge with many splendid displays from around the world. You won't have any problem spending one whole day if you really want to see "everything." They have a nice cafetaria too. Wink
0 Replies

BaileyStapleton

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 08:34 pm
There's a book called "Thames Doesn't Rhyme With James" (it doesn't!), and apart from being superbly entertaining (The wings were de-iced. The wings were de-iced again. The wings were de-iced a final time. The wings were de-iced again.), has a list of things to do and see (which the novel revolves around).

It's a fun book, I purchased mine from a local bookstore for £3.95.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 08:56 pm
If you plan a trip to Greenwich, don't miss the Maritime Museum and the Greenwich museum where you can stand in two time zones. Go one way by train and the return by boat - or visa versa. If you love the old masters of art, don't miss the National Gallery - one of my favorites on the whole planet. Even Somerset House has a van Gogh or two. Eat some of your meals in a pub. Some visitors to London like to visit Harrods, and have high tea. And look at schedules for changing of the guards at Buckinham Palace. Go early; it gets crowded quickly. Madam Toussauds is an interesting venue; you can take your picture with some famous and infamous personalities. Do a London Walk if you have the time and inclination; some are quite interesting. I met the owner on the Chelsea walk several decades ago. If you're into Charles Dickens, you can peer at some of his original manuscripts at his home/museum. The Tower of London is a favorite of visitors. If you're into architecture, you may want to visit St Paul's cathedral. Go to the downstairs museum where it gives the history of the cathedral. If you love museums, make a visit to the London Museum where you can learn about London, and you can see a section of the Roman wall from one of the museum's window.
0 Replies

BaileyStapleton

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 09:02 pm
Oh-ho, yes, do try Greenwich. It's surprisingly fun to be in tomorrow and yesterday at the same time.
0 Replies

margo

Reply Sun 4 Jul, 2004 10:22 pm
Woollcott - lots of doubles there

Welcome to A2K - !

Where are you from and how long are you staying in London. Where else are you going? When are you going? Interests?

These will help our trusty and sometimes friendly London types give more specific answers.
0 Replies

Woollcott

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 01:40 pm
London
My wife and I will surely visit London this year. We have decided it will be mostly London, but do want to see Stonehenge. The suggestions have been fantastic, but we know we can't see everything on the first visit. We have decided to think in terms of generalities (ie. "see a famous church; see a museum; see a famous historical place, etc.).
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 01:49 pm
For Stonehenhenge: there are a couple of companies offering day tours to Stonehenge (plus some more touristic sites) for about 50 £.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Mon 5 Jul, 2004 03:43 pm
If you're planning on going to see Stonehenge, you might as well include the tour that goes to Bath.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 08:00 am
I have also visited London many times. Unfortunately I have not visited recently as having two young children make traveling overseas a little more difficult. A couple of my favorite sites are the Tower of London and Madame Toussuads (sp??) Wax Museum. I think the new ferris wheel would be worth a visit.

Harrods is awesome just to walk through and a visit to the Theatre is always great in London.

A little more unusual visit is Speakers Corner in Hyde Park. I believe Sundays are the best for visiting. Basically it is where anyone that wants to pulls up a box, stands on it and lectures or debates about any subject under the sun. Usually there are some very amusing viewpoints and subjects.

I did go to Stonehenge from London, you can get there without a car, but it can be a cumbersome journey. You need to take a train and from the train station, you take a bus. Stonehenge is in the middle of no where so after you spend 5 minutes walking around you catch the same bus on its return trip. Since there is nothing else there except Stonehenge, you end up not spending much time there. By the way if you haven't seen it, it is still worth the trip, in my opinion.
0 Replies