LONDON

Galilite

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 08:56 am
I love London!!!

London theaters definitely worth mentioning. Most tourists go to musicals like The Cats or Les Miserables; I took off-the-beaten-path track and went to The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (abridged) by Reduced Shakespeare Company. The best stand up show (sort of) I've *ever* seen. I'ld love to see their other stuff.

A question to londoners - what did they eventually do to the Millennium Dome? I absolutely loved it, but I heard most people didn't :-( . It's a shame if they demolished it.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 09:10 am
The latest news about the dome.
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 11:28 am
Welcome to a2k, Woolcott

Best churches in London are Westminster Abbey (just next to the Houses of Parliament and across the river from the London Eye, which is worth a spin - it's a huge ferris wheel) and St Paul's Cathedral, from which you can walk across the Millennium Bridge to the Tate Modern (art from 20th & 21st Centuries).

The National Gallery, on Trafalgar Square, has many old masters and is worth a look.

I'm pleased that c.i. and Walter liked the Cheshire Cheese so much - it was my suggestion and I work near there.

Do get in touch via this thread when you've got some dates in the diary and Gautam and I will see if we can help with any specifics.

KP
0 Replies

BaileyStapleton

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 12:49 pm
Quote:
A couple of my favorite sites are the Tower of London and Madame Toussuads (sp??) Wax Museum. I think the new ferris wheel would be worth a visit.

It's Madame Tussaud's (Tussaud's Group, they run Thorpe Park, Alton Towers, Chessington World of Adventures and the London Eye, along with a lot of wax museums).

Anyways, try to purchase that book. It's very funny, and has a nice list of things to do.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 6 Jul, 2004 12:54 pm
BaileyStapleton wrote:

It's Madame Tussaud's (Tussaud's Group, they run Thorpe Park, Alton Towers, Chessington World of Adventures and the London Eye, along with a lot of wax museums).

... and 'Heide Park Soltau' (Germany) and Warwick Castle :wink:
0 Replies

BaileyStapleton

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 10:41 pm
Heide Park? I didn't know that. Well, at least we haven't got any of those bloody Six Flags parks, a fat lot of good those are. They're a waste of air.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 7 Jul, 2004 10:57 pm
I remember being at a party once and one friend said about another person, that she was very involved with theme parks as a career opportunity (I forget how, probably in the public relations field). I said to myself, ick...

I still feel that way, I'd much rather save the natural. Or have information centers, but I guess that is too dry for most.

I'll separate out regular old amusement parks, I did like those. When I was thirteen and my family moved from Chicago to Los Angeles, all my neighborhood friends and I went to Riverview Park, now long since closed, and rode all the rides, and threw stuff at stuffed animals... there were seven roller coaster rides, count 'em, seven. We rode every one. And then took the Ferris Wheel, It got stuck. Nancy B. threw up from her perch at the top, and yes, it landed on someone.

Four years later, after high school, I had occasion to visit Chicago again, and they took me there again, although by age seventeen we had really just a sentimental interest. We rode some of the rides (by then the park was getting really dilapidated) and yes, Nancy B. threw up from the Ferris Wheel, again.

There, Disneyland couldn't beat that.
0 Replies

the prince

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 02:12 am
kitchenpete wrote:

Do get in touch via this thread when you've got some dates in the diary and Gautam and I will see if we can help with any specifics.

KP

I second that.

But we might have to charge you for our services Twisted Evil
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 06:01 am
Yes, and then you leave for Paris or India or another man!
0 Replies

Galilite

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 07:05 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
The latest news about the dome.
Such a shame...

Thanks, Walter.
0 Replies

BoGoWo

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 07:12 am
i was born in England, but have never been to London; one of my few regrets, which i hope one day to rectify.

Just plopped this in to pick up this thread, so i can monitor it. :wink:
0 Replies

Tarah

Reply Sat 10 Jul, 2004 06:24 am
You might want to go on the London Eye. That was erected around the same time we got the Dome and has turned out to be far more popular (mind you, even a migraine is more popular than the Dome!)

And this week we had Princess Diana's Fountain opened by the Queen. Unfortunately it's already flooded due to the wrong sort of rain!
0 Replies

kitchenpete

Reply Tue 17 Aug, 2004 05:38 am
London meeting - see here:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=846884#846884
0 Replies